Feeding during molting

Kraemer7

Chirping
May 9, 2021
Hi! I have a multi age flock and some of my hens have started their 1st adult molt (hatched may 2021) I read to change their food to a high protein feed- but what about my younger layers (april 2022)? Is that ok for them to eat? Thanks!

we have done "everything" wrong LOLOL. Altho we started them on 19% protein, medicated (after two weeks, before that it was organic). At 4 weeks, they were outside, fully feathered, but we did give them a heat lamp. They are range fed, we feed them meal worms, scratch and for regular feed, the 19& protein. They are 2 weeks from 12 weeks and should we wait after 12 weeks? They are growing quite well. yeeks. Should we start adding layer feed to their grower feed? Stop the corn scratch?

They are 2 weeks from 12 weeks and should we wait after 12 weeks? They are growing quite well. yeeks. Should we start adding layer feed to their grower feed? Stop the corn scratch?
Wait for what after 12 weeks?

Layer should not be fed until roughly 16-18 weeks at earliest (the feed bag will have their recommended instructions). Some people do that, others wait until some/all the birds are laying, some never switch over at all.

I'd stop the scratch entirely, if they're free ranging they're already getting plenty of extra "treats."

The Barred Rocks I have now - I have read layer pellets give at 12 weeks, no 16 weeks, no, 18 weeks. I had to look up what day they hatched (no wonder they are so big...). They are 18 weeks now. I am guessing I can start layer feed soon. We have a good two weeks on chick feed and I'll pick up layer feed and add it as I go.

(The Rhodies I raised 20 years all had baby chick pellets and a month later had the adult feed, whatever they got free range, and a daily treat of cracked corn. A dozen eggs a day without fail)

Back
Top Bottom