Feeding egg shells

Quote:
I was told years ago that it was to keep them from breaking and eating their eggs. I don't really thin kthat now. Now I just do it because they are easier to crush up after being baked, my personal thing.

They are a great snail deterrent too! I leave them kinda in bigger pieces and the snails don't like to crawl on them. Also, for tomatoes, the calcium helps prevent those brown spots on the bottom of the tomatoes. Egg shells are GREAT!

The only reason I ever bake mine is so that the crushing part is easier. The heat breaks down the membrane that holds the egg together. After that, they just crumble to the touch. But I have fed them straight egg before. Crushed. They love it either way. I sprinkle mine on the ground, or in an aluminum pan.

I toss them in a coffee can under sink, let them dry out, put them in a mason jar and use an egg beater to crush them. Then i either add it to the daily feed or sprinkle over too ripe bananas and feed for a treat. (not as much work as it might sound)

I just squeeze the shell in my hand, before I toss it in the compost bucket. The chickens break it down, even further, by pecking at them.

My 23 week old pullet, who began laying this past monday, is laying perfect eggs. maybe she's been finding shells in the compost pile, but I didn't supplement until I found the first egg. Mixed with oyster shell, they are pushing the oyster shell aside and only eating the eggshells lol

Back
Top Bottom