Feeding eggshells protocols

taylacline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Southern West Virginia
When giving back eggshells is it necessary to bake and crush the shells into very small pieces like I've been seeing? Or can I just rinse them off and break them up a bit? Also if I do have to bake them, how long can I save them before baking them? To bake a big enough batch instead of several small batches

Last edited:
I dry them as in air/garage dry, not bake. Then I grind them in a coffee grinder for my dogs and sometimes chickens. My chickens get oyster shells so they don't also need eggs shells. But anyhow that's my process, no baking.

Necessary? NO.

Washing and baking are to reduce "icky" factor and potential for disease transmission. Personally, I assume if disease is in my free range flock, its in my free range flock. The occasional egg shell from a hen in my free range flock is unlikely to be a significant disease vector when they already share coop, run, water, feed, and pasture.

Breaking/crushing is to discourage egg breaking behaviors. I've never hand an issue, and sometimes throw excess whole eggs to my birdss, raw. When they hit my ground and explode, my birds destroy the evidence. If the egg bounces? They run over in response to the movement, then walk away..

Is it better than not washing/baking and breaking? For reasons above, yes. Worth the effort? Not to me. You may weigh the risks differently. There is no wrong answer here.

My routine? Husband is the egg-eater so he rinses the shells (makes more mess that way ;)) and sets them aside on a paper plate. When I have several empty shells I'll put them in the microwave for a minute or two. Sometimes I'll set them out in the sun. Basically want them dry. Put the shells in a ziploc and roll over them with something (pastry roller, can of beans, etc) to crunch them up. I keep a mortar and pestle in the barn to crunch some more if needed. I like to give my girls a variety of eggshell sizes in their little bowl, but no big pieces. I also put in the crushed oystershell. Nothing too good for the girls!

My routine? Husband is the egg-eater so he rinses the shells (makes more mess that way ;)) and sets them aside on a paper plate. When I have several empty shells I'll put them in the microwave for a minute or two.
This is what we do and then I crush by hand. The farm our local HS runs just throws in shells and the chickens do what it is chickens do. I think if you are getting them from an outside source I would rinse and bake a bit

The rinsing/baking is for your own sake, not for the chickens. To reduce/eliminate the danger of spreading or contracting things like salmonella from handling the raw egg remains on the shells. What I do is I have a pie pan that sits on the kitchen counter, and we throw eggshells in it as we use eggs for cooking (then wash hands right away when done). When the pan gets full, and after having baked something else, I put the egg pan in the oven for a while after turning the heat off. The residual heat is enough to cook the egg remains. Then I crunch them up some by hand (for some reason I find this strangely satisfying, so I enjoy doing it by hand :lol: ) and store in a large glass jar, to use as needed. I don't crush them too small - the chickens seem to prefer larger pieces. Maybe the size of a thumbnail, just enough that they don't resemble a whole egg too much and encourage egg breaking behavior. My hens don't lay in the winter and we have to buy eggs, but I do the same with the store-bought eggs and keep collecting shells in the large jar, so when the hens resume laying in the spring, I have enough to start refilling their eggshell container. This has worked very well for me. My husband is immunocompromised and every small bug hits him really hard, so I don't want to risk it with salmonella or anything else the eggs might have. So I reduce the handling of raw eggs as much as possible. But eggshells is all the calcium my chickens get - I don't use layer feed or oyster shell (never have), and I don't get soft shelled eggs, so the system works!

Back
Top Bottom