Feeding Fermented Feed

OhioChickenKeeper

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2018
Hello BYC I’m new here but am not new to raising chickens, I was wondering about starting to feed fermented feed. I have 11 chickens right now and I was wondering how much fermented feed I should feed them a day I will be feeding fermented layer pellets with a little bit of scratch grains mixed in

I've been fermenting feed for yrs never saw any mold or fungus. Whether or not is superior to regular food as far as nutrition is debatable but it does add pro-pre-biotics. And IMHO saves on feed, I buy less feed when I ferment feel it in my wallet.
You can find all the information you need on this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/8695537

The idea that fermented feed is as bad as food that gets wet by accident is silly.

People also tell you not to eat raw pork or old meat but I bet you don't blink twice at someone eating a slice of prosciutto. You shouldn't eat curdled milk, but yogurt and kefir are OK. It's all about taking care to make sure what you're making is more healthful than not. Which is fairly simple in this case.

Thanks for all the answers guys and for the guys saying mold grows on fermented feed this is NOT the first time I’ve fed fermented feed I’ve fed chickens it before(I just want to feed them more of a fermented feed based diet now and i didn’t know how much to feed them a day) and mold does not grow on it, also I’ve fed hogs fermented feed and they absolutely love it as well as chickens they seem happier and healthier on fermented feed

Obviously it's up to each keeper to weigh pros and cons of fermenting, or giving certain treats, adding stuff to water, etc.

There's a difference between feed that's unintentionally wet and fermented. Feed that gets wet unintentionally (i.e. falls under feeder, you find it days later) is far more likely to mold. Fermented feed should be monitored so that it doesn't develop problems. If my ferment looks or smells off I toss it.

I feed about 1/3rd cup a day per chicken but that gets eaten immediately in the morning. The rest of the day I offer free choice dry feed.

Aspergillosis and botulism are the two diseases most assoviated with fermented food. Technecally neither aspergillosis or botulism are diseases but they are caused by eating poisons produced when feed or grain becomes wet and certain fungi, molds, or bacteria grow.

Multiple people advise against feeding feed that has become wet
but then some of these same people go out of their way to ferment their chickens' food. :th

There is a difference between fermented feed and that which became damp and starts to mold.

You'll get loads of different opinions on how to ferment and how much to feed. And some people will tell you it's too much hassle. Some feed only a few spoonfuls per bird every couple of days, some feed as much as they'll eat in half an hour every day, some feed only FF.

I ferment about half of what they should eat in a day and leave it out all day. They also have free access to dry feed. They love the FF though, and will finish it off before going to the dry. That's the main reason I do it; they love it. I only have four and they are pets more than anything else.

I keep it simple; fermented the first batch for three days, then just keep using the same tub with a little left over to kick start the batch. Dish it out, refill with water and feed at a 1:1 ratio. It's ready to go the next morning. And I use plain tap water. Using water left out to let the chlorine evaporate resulted in alcohol fermentation for some reason (possibly because yeast has a lower tolerance to chlorine than the pro-bi bacteria, so tap water is less likely to be taken over by yeast).

You'll have to experiment and find what way works best for you. There's no hard and fast rules, and no real data on positive effects for health and pocket. All I know is that my girls love it, and it's a few extra minutes work a day.

I also eat lots of fermented foods, but don't eat the science experiments, that used to be leftovers, I find in the back of the fridge.
I feed FF from hatch and so far have not had a problem... now coyotes and hawks , well that's my problems.
I feed what they will eat in 20 min, unless I have chicks. Chicks get food all day. But any leftovers picked up at night.
I use this method. https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

I've been offering lightly FF (i.e. soaking grain for a day or two only, then starting afresh with clean everything and a spoonful of natural yogurt mixed in the water to supply good bacteria to start the ferment, using different containers for each batch) for about 6 months now, and my chooks thrive on it, and much prefer it to dry feed - they come running and dance round me when I'm bringing them fresh, morning and afternoon. I wouldn't want to make up and put masses in a feeder and leave it out for days though, as I think that's liable to lead to the sort of scenario chickengeorgeto envisions. They also drink a lot less water on it, so you have reduced risk of dehydration or water-borne diseases etc..

Back
Top Bottom