Feeding free ranging chickens

lablover

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
My 9 week old chicks free range all day, and they always have their chick starter available in the coop. I've had to lock them out of the coop as I am introducing a new one. I put food out for them, but once they ate it, they tried their best to break into the coop to get at their feeder. Will they always be that dependent on their feed, or will I be able to just feed them once (like you see in the movies when the food is thrown on the ground) vs. having the feeder available at all times?

My 9 week old chicks free range all day, and they always have their chick starter available in the coop. I've had to lock them out of the coop as I am introducing a new one. I put food out for them, but once they ate it, they tried their best to break into the coop to get at their feeder. Will they always be that dependent on their feed, or will I be able to just feed them once (like you see in the movies when the food is thrown on the ground) vs. having the feeder available at all times?
It may take a day or two for chicks to concentrate on searching elsewhere for forage. Are you certain they have access to enough quality forage? How many acres or square feet? What kind of vegetation and how is it managed (mowed, grazed by livestock)?

Back
Top Bottom