Feeding from 6 weeks to 6 months-Need some opinions

drom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
California
Hello I am wondering how long everyone keeps their young birds on chick starter and what they are feeding up to 6 months. I have the BC Marans and they are medium to large birds I guess. The breeder I bought mine from however has birds on the large size so I think mine will be big birds. Anyway, they were developing sooo fast in the first 8 weeks. And when I ran out of starter the guy in feed store said put them on all purpose crumbles, they only need the starter for the first 6 weeks.
About 3 or 4 weeks later I felt like they needed more protein, so I started mixing game bird/turkey grower crumbles in with the all purpose. I also add hen scratch and sunflower to the mix.

But it sounds like some people keep them on starter until they are ready to lay. Should I just go back to the starter? Or maybe the Purina start and grow?
hu.gif
They are around 15 weeks now.

Your learned advice is greatly appreciated!

I dont have a choice to buy starter alone here, so mine stay on a Start & Grow (not Purina, though) till close to laying age or right at that 18-20 week mark. If I could buy pullet developer, I'd have them on that by 10 weeks or so, but no one sells it here.

Well, I guess I am going to go get the start and grow. People seem to like it. I also may get some BOSS. I was feeding sunflower chips but I keep hearing about BOSS.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom