Feeding from 6 weeks to 6 months-Need some opinions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by drom, Oct 25, 2008.

1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Hello I am wondering how long everyone keeps their young birds on chick starter and what they are feeding up to 6 months. I have the BC Marans and they are medium to large birds I guess. The breeder I bought mine from however has birds on the large size so I think mine will be big birds. Anyway, they were developing sooo fast in the first 8 weeks. And when I ran out of starter the guy in feed store said put them on all purpose crumbles, they only need the starter for the first 6 weeks.
    About 3 or 4 weeks later I felt like they needed more protein, so I started mixing game bird/turkey grower crumbles in with the all purpose. I also add hen scratch and sunflower to the mix.

But it sounds like some people keep them on starter until they are ready to lay. Should I just go back to the starter? Or maybe the Purina start and grow? [​IMG] They are around 15 weeks now.

Your learned advice is greatly appreciated!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont have a choice to buy starter alone here, so mine stay on a Start & Grow (not Purina, though) till close to laying age or right at that 18-20 week mark. If I could buy pullet developer, I'd have them on that by 10 weeks or so, but no one sells it here.

3. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Well, I guess I am going to go get the start and grow. People seem to like it. I also may get some BOSS. I was feeding sunflower chips but I keep hearing about BOSS.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by