Feeding Geese Help and Advice!!!

Bad Wolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Bedford, NH
When I bought our 6 geese I thought that they would be able to forage in the front yard and eat the grass and weeds. The problem is that I have to stay with them in order for them to stay there. When I am at work they stay in the backyard with the chickens on about an acre of woods. They always have access to fresh water and grower crumble (they are 2 and 3 months old). I bring them to the farm to go in the pond daily for about an hour. They won't go in the pond unless I go in. I go in a few steps and they stay right there at my feet. I think they would probably go in if I swam out there but that's not happening! What should I do? I can't get anything done because I'm staying out front on the grass so they can eat. They like roaming through the woods and eating/playing in the dirt. Are they getting any nutrition from the stuff in the woods? Do they have to have fields or can they survive on greens and grass I can supplement with their dry food? I'm getting concerned that maybe I don't have the right home for them:( I start work again in August and won't be able to take them to the pond during the week to play and eat the greens. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Although they're fully feathered now, they're still young and act mainly like goslings. Goslings stick close to the flock and do not travel unsupervised to unknown lands - like your front yard. From 3-5 months of age, they will gradually develop an adult mindset and become way more independent and adventurous.

But even grown geese may take their time determining a new territory safe. This forum is bursting with tales of geese not using their new pond/tub/whatever, just because it's new.

As long as they always have access to fresh water and crumble, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom