Are these geese healthy?

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
Picked up some four month old geese today. The boy, Pablo, has angel wings. Both geese appear to have pale beaks and legs. The seller didn't know the breed. I thought they were Pilgrim but they look nothing like my pilgrims. The geese are extremely anxious when I don't sit with them. They didn't know what to do when I put them in water and it took ages for them to eat grass. They may have been neglected by their past owners? Should I treat the angel wing or is Pablo too old? What can I do for them?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231209_170523660.jpg
    IMG_20231209_170523660.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20231209_171401950.jpg
    IMG_20231209_171401950.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 40
no, they don’t look very healthy, I wonder what the previous owner was feeding them? Get them on a good waterfowl feed or all flock feed right away and add extra niacin in the form of nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon per cup of feed . I don’t think you are going to be able to fix the angel wing at four months old. bless your heart for taking them in this condition I think with patience keep trying to get them used to the water. They really need to be cleaning themselves up.

no, they don’t look very healthy, I wonder what the previous owner was feeding them? Get them on a good waterfowl feed or all flock feed right away and add extra niacin in the form of nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon per cup of feed . I don’t think you are going to be able to fix the angel wing at four months old. bless your heart for taking them in this condition I think with patience keep trying to get them used to the water. They really need to be cleaning themselves up.
Thank you! I'll give them the yeast. Any idea what breed they might be? I thought the girl looked like a Suchovy. My geese have access to whole mixed grains, hens layer mash, grass and frozen peas. They mainly eat grass though. Would this be the correct diet for Pablo and Esmeralda while they recover?

Bless you for taking them in. A member here some years back swore she fixed angel wing by waiting till first molt where they lose all their flight feathers and when the feathers started growing back in she wrapped and fixed it. Now it might be worth trying I sure would. Looks like these babies have been neglected i am so glad you were willing to rescue them and give them a good home. Make sure the yeast you give them is Nutritional yeast and not yeast for baking. I bet in a few months they will be gorgeous.
Geese are grazers and if they have grass that is what they will eat. keep offering the other feed for them and if you can get a good poultry vitamin to put in their water. Here Rooster Booster "Poultry Cell" is a real good one.
Pablo has a tuft on his head so maybe a tuffed roman? The female may be mix hard to say let them get themselves cleaned up and then post pics.
Please let us know how they are doing and again bless you for rescuing them.
https://heritagepoultry.org/blog/tufted-roman-geese

They do look anemic, poor things!

I’m not sure what brands are available to you in Australia but a waterfowl, all flock, flock raiser or multiflock feed is what you want to aim for. Something with 17 to 20% protein. You can go up to a 30% feed if you think they’re underweight.
Generally layer feed isn’t ideal for birds who aren’t laying as the extra calcium can mess them up, but if that’s all that’s available mixing it as you’ve been doing is fine.
Definitely look for some nutritional yeast and a liquid B vitamin complex and multi vitamin like the others suggested.

Bless you for taking them in. A member here some years back swore she fixed angel wing by waiting till first molt where they lose all their flight feathers and when the feathers started growing back in she wrapped and fixed it. Now it might be worth trying I sure would. Looks like these babies have been neglected i am so glad you were willing to rescue them and give them a good home. Make sure the yeast you give them is Nutritional yeast and not yeast for baking. I bet in a few months they will be gorgeous.
Geese are grazers and if they have grass that is what they will eat. keep offering the other feed for them and if you can get a good poultry vitamin to put in their water. Here Rooster Booster "Poultry Cell" is a real good one.
Pablo has a tuft on his head so maybe a tuffed roman? The female may be mix hard to say let them get themselves cleaned up and then post pics.
Please let us know how they are doing and again bless you for rescuing them.
https://heritagepoultry.org/blog/tufted-roman-geese
Thank you! The other geese are mothering them 💕. I am going to try and keep my distance so they become independent of humans. I'll update you with photos soon

They do look anemic, poor things!

I’m not sure what brands are available to you in Australia but a waterfowl, all flock, flock raiser or multiflock feed is what you want to aim for. Something with 17 to 20% protein. You can go up to a 30% feed if you think they’re underweight.
Generally layer feed isn’t ideal for birds who aren’t laying as the extra calcium can mess them up, but if that’s all that’s available mixing it as you’ve been doing is fine.
Definitely look for some nutritional yeast and a liquid B vitamin complex and multi vitamin like the others suggested.
Ok I'll pick some up tomorrow when the shops are open 👍

Thank you! The other geese are mothering them 💕. I am going to try and keep my distance so they become independent of humans. I'll update you with photos soon
Why do you want them independent of humans? If you don't mind me asking. I love the relationship I have with my goose I did have 2 but my gander passed away at 14 yrs. Missy does not want to be touched but likes being around me. They are such great birds.

That is so sweet your other geese are mothering them. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom