Feeding meat birds and layers.

gardengirl01

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 5, 2013
All my chickens free range and when I get meat chicks, they won't free range until they have all their feathers. So I tend to leave food out all the time in a specific place. I know some folks just feed once a day. Is this better for the meat chicks and layers. My layers eat when they are hungry but can free range all day. The meat chicks are confined as stated to a house and large coop until a month old. They still act like pigs when I refill their feeders. Just looking for the best and healthiest way to care for the chickens.
Thanks

Good question. I also wonder about this.
I have been feeding mine twice daily. I feel that if I leave food out all the time - like with layers - they would eat a whole bag of feed in 2-3 days! Mine also go crazy when I feed. I have been wondering if I am feeding enough or not! Kind of hard to say, no instructions on the bags I buy.. but the babies have been putting on some weight, they grow fast, so I think they eat enough.

Feeding once a day - I would be afraid of having more battles and that the chicks at the bottom of the pecking order might not get enough to eat. Not sure about this, but I suppose that if we feed more frequently, the birds will go "less crazy" when they get fed so it should reduce the stress on the birds at the lowest pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom