Feeding molting chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swimmom, Oct 24, 2010.

1. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    I live in the city and don't have a feed store nearby, so my question is, what can I feed my chickens during their molt as I read somewhere that they need more protein to grow in new feathers. I have a Whole Foods nearby where I can get grains etc if I can feed them something like that. Thanks

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Hardboiled egg (mashed up) is a good protein supplement. What is the protein content of the regular feed that you're giving them?

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds as a treat

Fishmeal or even canned tuna/mackerel, etc.

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs,

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Spinach has decent protein too if your birds are caged (mine free range, therefore don't appreciate an extra leafy item till winter time)...tuna (almost any meat scraps), sunflower seeds, etc...

ETA: If you have pet stores around, maybe crickets, meal worms, etc. as well...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    It looks like 16% protein in the layer pellets. Thanks for all the info, the girls will be happy for new dietary items!

7. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Most feed stores will have a game bird raiser or flock raiser feed that is usually 20%. You could also try a bag of that.

8. BillJ

BillJ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Quote:Dave, I wonder about feeding starter to a molting hen. Though it does have higher protein, I understand the "antibiotic" is actually an antacid. That the "antibiotic" had been in common use for ulcers before the new stuff some years ago. It seems to me that young chicks. like infants, can't digest food well as they don't produce stomach acid sufficiently. Fine, the antacid probably has some antibiotic activity on its own aside from reducing the production of acid.

I wonder if an adult bird, tho with a crop and not a usual stomach, produces _some_ digestive acid that also neutralizes bacteria and virus the bird consumes. That giving the antacid to an adult bird might leave it exposed to some bacteria and virus it was previously neutralizing.

I have a molting hen, my first, and fed it starter. Other of my birds ate the starter as well. The hen as become ill and an otherwise healthy roo now unhealthy stool.

Possible?

BillJ

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Dave, I wonder about feeding starter to a molting hen. Though it does have higher protein, I understand the "antibiotic" is actually an antacid. That the "antibiotic" had been in common use for ulcers before the new stuff some years ago. It seems to me that young chicks. like infants, can't digest food well as they don't produce stomach acid sufficiently. Fine, the antacid probably has some antibiotic activity on its own aside from reducing the production of acid.

I wonder if an adult bird, tho with a crop and not a usual stomach, produces _some_ digestive acid that also neutralizes bacteria and virus the bird consumes. That giving the antacid to an adult bird might leave it exposed to some bacteria and virus it was previously neutralizing.

I have a molting hen, my first, and fed it starter. Other of my birds ate the starter as well. The hen as become ill and an otherwise healthy roo now unhealthy stool.

Possible?

BillJ

Most chick starter have Amprolium (Coid) or Lasalocid Avatec (Bovatec) and neither one is a, "antacid"...

Chris

10. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    where did that come from? Medicated feed....antacid?.......NO........
    Well I need to rethink everything. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by