Feeding my ducks in the winter

Grey's

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Ottawa, ON Canada
I have four Indian runners, I only know what I've learned from here re ducks. Now in the winter its gets cold here, I have made a wonder coop and yard for them. Now for the winter I know they need water, I'm wondering do you guys have any ideas of what kind of water bowl and food bowl would be good to put in their coop, also so it doesn't get too wet in there, I know they make a mess with their water lol any advice on taking care of them in the winter would be appreciated also.

I'm in MN so it gets cold here too, I still don't put water in the coop even in winter I just go out once or twice a day and give them warm water in a large type tub that is in there pen I pretty much know how many gallons they drink a day, I also have used a heated dog water bowl outside but you have to make sure it doesn't run dry or they burn out

Heated water buckets are the best friend to duck keepers, they have them at TSC and on line and probably most larger feed stores. But even then I don't put water or feed inside their house at night or day.

i only have food out for my ducks during the day. i used to put food and water in with them in their coop at night, but it just got too messy. So now i just put water in for them. i use those plastic bins, like you use in your sink to wash dishes in. Seems to be a good size for water or for food. It doesn't get super cold here, so i can't make any suggestions for keeping the water unfrozen.

I use heated buckets, the smaller ones... i am odd i do keep water and food in the barn at night but that is mainly due to my sometimes unexpected delay as i have kids to get off to schools most morning. I like the small livestock rubber bowls best for feed as they clean easily and can be flipped, flopped and basically abused lol

Last edited:
what my Mom did for our ducks, is she took the wire protector top thing off a Tank heater for horses, and wired it onto a heated cat food dish for their water, so they cant jump in it and bathe in it. :) For food, we just use a cake pan, and if it's really cold, we will put warm water from the sink in the house in their food. the only problem with that tho is they waste alot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom