Feeding older chicks

gabz44

Chirping
Dec 26, 2015
At what age do I start feeding my flock things other than the crumbles? My chicks are 8 weeks (silkies, Easter Egger, buff Orphington)

You can start giving treats at just a few days old, as long you provide grit. Just make sure that treats are no more than 10% of their total diet. Their primary source of nutrition still needs to be their feed.

Really,I would not give chicks treats at a few days,i'd wait and let the probiotics,and chick crumbles do its thing for about a month,then start introducing other things.

@junebuggena @thetwo
Can you give me some ideas if things I can start introducing to them? Thanks :)

Chopped salad greens, grass clippings, live mealworms, bits of fruit, seeds and grains, just about anything you might let an older bird have. When chicks are raised by hens, they eat whatever she shows them to eat from the very first day. Since you've waited so long, they may be fearful of the new food items and not go near it for a day or two.

Chopped salad greens, grass clippings, live mealworms, bits of fruit, seeds and grains, just about anything you might let an older bird have. When chicks are raised by hens, they eat whatever she shows them to eat from the very first day. Since you've waited so long, they may be fearful of the new food items and not go near it for a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom