Feeding ONLY laying pellets ...

familyguy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
I have three lovely ladies I aquirred about two weeks ago now ... two RIR and one Golden cross. They have not started laying yet - they were laying when I got them, I am assuming they have to settle in a bit before they start up again. I have been feeding them layer pellets but also have been feeding them scraps from the kitchen, yogurt, pumpkin even oatmeal in the mornings when it has been a little chilly outside! A neighbor of mine who has raised chickens in the past, but has none now, claims that by feeding anything other than the layer pellets I am keeping them from laying eggs. He seems to be of the opinion that the layer pellets have something in them which encourages them to lay eggs and by feeding the other items I am keeping them from laying. Anyone ever hear of that? I am totally new to this, but before I decide this person is full of it I thought I would check here first!
Jim

Yeah, I think he's a little off base. I feed mine layer crumbles in addition to all kinds of healthy treats like what you mentioned and they are all laying consistently. As long as you don't feed so much treats that they aren't interested in their layer feed. I've never owned a chicken that ate absolutely nothing but layer feed. Your doing the right thing and I think maybe once they get settled in they'll get back to regular laying. Layer feed does contain all the vitamins and nutrients for hens to lay and keep healthy but it's no magic bullet that's going to *make* a hen lay.
Enjoy your girls!

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
As long as the layer pellets are their main feed you should be fine. The other scraps you give them are treats. Just like a person shouldn't live on junk food neither should a chicken. But the scraps certainly are not keeping the chickens from laying eggs. You're going about it the right way. Enjoy.

All the things you're feeding them is just fine. In fact, most, if not all, of it is beneficial. I'm pretty sure most of us here feed our flocks more than just layer feed. Mine get fed Flock Raiser and oyster shells for calcium. Their treats can consist of yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese (they prefer american or cheddar), bok choy, egg, chicken, spaghetti, pumpkin, watermelon, apple melons, apples, peas, carrots, tomatoes, cantaloupe, cucumber, bread, cheerios, pretty much whatever I have on hand that isn't citrus or potato (except french fries, they like french fries a lot) or anything else on the do not feed list.

Back
Top Bottom