Feeding Organic?

You might also check out Scratch and Peck feeds for a local dealer or an Azure standard delivery. I bought a bag of S&P through Azure (you meet the tractor trailer truck near you) before thankfully finding a local store that carries New Country Organics.

Azure doesn't come out this way as far as the big deliveries go. But I will research where I might get Scratch and Peck. I'm just a little confused between pellets and the other type feed etc. Who would've thought it would be so complicated.

I tried switching to a local popular organic after using three bags of Purina Layena because I wanted to get away from so much soy. My girls didn't seem to like it much. First it was pellets and they were used to crumbles, which I hate due to waste. Also there was a lot of shredded alfalfa which they just ignored or threw out of feeder. After they all got diarrhea I switched back to purina and everything cleared up and they were happier. Not a lot of choices here in San Diego, I'm not thrilled with Purina's soy though. I did start mixing my own Scratch/treats for them without using soy. Crazy hassle that is but they really love their nighttime scratch. And I give them good old fashion meat.

I think thats the one I bought, Scratch and Peck organic and we didn't like it. I wish I had another choice for organic around here. I just saw an ad for Purina Organic, I wonder?

MY local TSC while back prob OCTober had a $2 off coupon on the Purina Organic... I think its good thru November It was in a display
just a suggestion....
I have been buying the bulk bin at big name grocery. So far YELLOW split peas are 69 cents per pound and green 99 cents per lb. On Senior Cit every Thursday its 5 percent off whole day purchases. the dry soup mix cheaper but had to pick out the PINTO AND KIDNEY beans before giving them...to the flock a little of like scratch..
the mix contains whole yellow and green peas, split peas,marrowfat peas, barley, duprey.. cant locate the bag right now it was like 59 a pound
thanks

I had added up the price of all the ingredients to make my own organic feed and it was so outrageous I couldn't afford it. As it is I will be buying organic so I guess I won't worry about making it from scratch. It was even more than New Country Organic. I priced it from Azure and I would have to pay regular shipping since they don't do the large deliveries as of yet in Massachusetts. I know it would be way better for them as long as it was nutritionally complete but the price was a deal breaker. Oh well!

Quote: Illia

I don't know what your budget is, but if I were you I would avoid non-organic wheat, corn, and soy as much as possible. Those three ingredients are crops sprayed the most with pesticides, etc... They can be causing more harm than good to your chickens and yourself if your eating there eggs.
I strongly support eating organic, but if you cannot afford it I would do your best to do the 'best you can with what you got'.

I'm in the Outer Banks of NC...what organic brands are reliable for truly being organic and non-GMO? I've been scouring threads and reading on so many different feeds, I'm a bit lost.
hu.gif
I don't have a lot of places to buy from (not including TSC), but I can order on Amazon, so I've been looking there too.

Back to the Google machine I suppose. Yeesh! LOL!

Fermenting might be an option too. It's fairly easy and bumps up the nutrition. I buy Green Mountain at a local farm store but I may invest in Scratch & Peck since they have free shipping. Organic is considerably more expensive but to me, totally worth it. I have always gone the organic route so I don't notice the cost factor as much. And I do let them free range for hours a day so that helps.

My family eats primarily organic, but we are able to get it at a very reasonable rate, sometimes its cheaper than the conventional. But we also don't eat a lot if any processed foods. The only thing that isn't reasonable are eggs in our area. Which is what made us decide to start keeping chickens. I buy them Scratch and Peck Organic Non-GMO feed. I get the soy and corn free blend. Mostly because a lot of the corn in this country is GMO and it's really hard to find non-gmo corn and soy. You have to buy heritage brands to get non-gmo. I also garden heavily and follow organic guidelines for my gardens as well. It is more common at home (the Northeast) then it is in the south where we are now. All of our pets either eat high end holistic food or organic food. Our water and food are so important to our existence. I don't understand how people can be so lackadaisical with either of those things. What we put into the ground will essentially end up in our bodies. My husband and I live in the south currently and we have to spray the exterior perimeter of our house to keep our bonding but I honestly can't wait to get back to the north. In my 32 years of existence my parents haven't had to spray a single chemical on their property. We also got chickens and are getting ducks for bug prevention. I want to try to not utilize chemicals where we are since our drainage goes to the sound, that dumps into the gulf. We as a species are a part of the circle of life and if we treat mother nature well, she will return the favor. All food was organic at one point. We just need to try to get back to that.

My family eats primarily organic, but we are able to get it at a very reasonable rate, sometimes its cheaper than the conventional. But we also don't eat a lot if any processed foods. The only thing that isn't reasonable are eggs in our area. Which is what made us decide to start keeping chickens. I buy them Scratch and Peck Organic Non-GMO feed. I get the soy and corn free blend. Mostly because a lot of the corn in this country is GMO and it's really hard to find non-gmo corn and soy. You have to buy heritage brands to get non-gmo. I also garden heavily and follow organic guidelines for my gardens as well. It is more common at home (the Northeast) then it is in the south where we are now. All of our pets either eat high end holistic food or organic food. Our water and food are so important to our existence. I don't understand how people can be so lackadaisical with either of those things. What we put into the ground will essentially end up in our bodies. My husband and I live in the south currently and we have to spray the exterior perimeter of our house to keep our bonding but I honestly can't wait to get back to the north. In my 32 years of existence my parents haven't had to spray a single chemical on their property. We also got chickens and are getting ducks for bug prevention. I want to try to not utilize chemicals where we are since our drainage goes to the sound, that dumps into the gulf. We as a species are a part of the circle of life and if we treat mother nature well, she will return the favor. All food was organic at one point. We just need to try to get back to that.
hallelujah UhaRugger. I think most people forget we are what we eat and breathe etc... just wish my bunch didnt waste the Ferrells additive when I gave them my own mixed "feed"

Back
Top Bottom