Feeding pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by JulieNKC, Sep 18, 2012.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I haven't found anywhere that sells pigeon food. I only have a pair. I feed my ducks and chickens gamebird grower, scratch, and whole oats. Could I pick up some split peas and lentils and mix it with what the other birds get and provide a decent diet for them? What percentage protein should I feed them? They are woe tumblers, and aren't flown or breeding. What sort of green food do they like and is it good to give them some veggies once in awhile?

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Pigeons will not eat veggies or greens. They will eat boiled or scrambled eggs for extra protien. I feed mine adult game bird mix which is a very good mix of all different kinds of seeds. I was having my local feed store ordor pigeon food for me but then they suggested this as its pretty well exactly the same mix and its a bit cheaper. They will also eat scratch grain and wild bird seed mixes.

3. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Ok, thanks. [​IMG]

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yea, pigeons are very easy to feed. Layer pellets, game bird feed, legumes and grains ect. ect.

5. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    bird seed.....just make sure they're getting their protein.

6. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

the npa has a good pigeon diet on their site.[​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Thanks everyone! I love these guys, I don't know why I didn't get them a long time ago. Now I just need to learn everything I can. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by