Feeding popcorn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Centralflafred, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Centralflafred

Centralflafred Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Plant City, Fla.
    I was in a local feed wholesale store not long ago when a guy was on the phone trying to find large bags of popcorn. When he got off the phone and realized I was listening in he explained that a Cuban man had come in and wanted the popcorn to feed to his "sporting birds." I'm pretty sure what he meant but I just didn't see the logic in the popcorn. I was wondering if anyone might know the difference between standard corn and popcorn as a feed?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    No idea, but that's interesting.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My bag of Jiffy Pop is 12% protein. Don't know what regular corn is. I thought they used popcorn in pigeon mixes, because it is smaller than regular dent corn. Hence the reason they call it "small corn" mixes! Don't know for sure, but my bantams love popcorn.

4. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I feed my flock popcorn as a treat. I pop it first in a hot air popper. No salt, no butter, just plain. They love it and it's fun to watch them eat it. I never thought of giving it to them un-popped (that's not as much fun), and not sure if it's better then regular corn [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Popcorn - Protein - 12.1
    Carbohydrates - 69.7
    Fiber - 2
    Fat - 5.2

Corn
    (Maze) - Protein - 8.9
    Carbohydrates - 68.9
    Fiber - 2
    Fat - 3.9

You can feed it unpopped.. They use popcorn in pigeon feed and a lot of people use the all grain pigeon feed as a scratch grain for chickens..

Chris

6. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    My daughter always gives the hens her overcooked popcorn. They love it. So do wild turkeys!

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Boy am I glad to have found this thread! We bought a 50 lb bag of popcorn a few weeks ago. (I don't know why? It was SUCH a good deal!) Anyway we have been talking about what we would do with it when it no longer pops up all nice and fluffy! Now I know! Chicken treats!

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mine love white chedder popcorn, use it as a treat, they even know what the bag looks like.

9. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    If they were to eat it whole would they still gain the nutritional value? Is this a stupid question? I've been thinking about this lately. More so for flax seed though tbh but popcorn, being incredibly dense seems like it would just sit in their belly.

10. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:I was wondering the same thing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by