Feeding question - multiple ages

Molly_MacD

Chirping
Aug 31, 2021
Edmonton. Alberta, Canada
I have a mixed flock currently 2 pullets at 15 weeks, a Roo at 10 weeks and a (probable) roo at 9 weeks. I've just introduced a bantam pullet who is... somewhere around 6mths-1 year. I'm currently feeding everyone grower mix and free range for about an hour a day, but I'm sure the older gal is not getting optimal feed - she's been with us for 2.5 weeks and has not resumed laying. What should I do to make sure she is getting enough but the younger ones don't get too much?

I have a couple of 4 week old chicks still in the house that will be added in a couple of weeks and the older roo will be sent away.

I'm not sure I can find oyster shells here... supply issue, but what if I baked/ground egg shells would that work?
That will work. I mix some in with my oyster shells--I put them in the microwave until they aren't "wet" and then grind them, but some people don't bake them.

I can't get oyster shells here either, I did order from Scratch and Peck, not ideal but we also don't eat enough eggs to have eggshells steadily in the container for 6 layers and 2 more on the way

That will work. I mix some in with my oyster shells--I put them in the microwave until they aren't "wet" and then grind them, but some people don't bake them.

I can't get oyster shells here either, I did order from Scratch and Peck, not ideal but we also don't eat enough eggs to have eggshells steadily in the container for 6 layers and 2 more on the way
Will the younger ones be smart enough not not over eat it? I assume yes but sometimes they're not too bright

They might be curious and eat some, but it shouldn't hurt them. I have been told that they will only eat it if their body needs it. I have 2 that aren't laying and I haven't seen them touch the egg/oyster shells
Ok perfect, That sounds like a good plan than. I do have an unopened bag of grower... wonder if they'll take it back/trade for an all flock

Back
Top Bottom