Feeding Raw Yogurt: Do I Just Set It Out In A Dish?

farmgirlsomeday

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
One of my hens has Vent Gleet, and I know that raw organic yogurt will help get rid of it (along with the other measures I've taken like trimming all her hind feathers back, cleaning the area, etc). I have never fed my chickens yogurt before; do I just set it out in a dish and let them peck at it? Will they eat it this way? Or do I need to mix something in it? Spoon feed the chicken with the Gleet? All feedback on feeding yogurt appreciated!

i just put it in a dish. they eat/drink it just fine by itself. if you have enough, give them all some. they love it and its good for them. a few messy beaks sometimes, like a child with an ice cream cone.
ya.gif

i have over 100 chickens. if i tried to mix it , i couldnt afford it. lol they get a bit and run. poor things, i really need to down size.

In a dish is fine. We also put some grapes in with it (cut up if the chicks are small). Make sure you stand well back from the frenzy...yogurt slings a pretty good distance...
big_smile.png

Here's ours enjoying some yogurt...

0.jpg

Last edited:
thats sweet, mine is more of a get out of my way, climbing on the backs of each other, malay. need more dishes...... need a cow !!

Cacique500: What's that green stuff on the ground? And that lovely melody in the back ground is music to my ears. That short video, was just the ticket to get me out of the winter doldrums, even if just for a moment or 2! Thankyou!!!

Yogurt is very easy to make. all you need is a tablespoon of yogurt with active culture in it, a jar, and a way to keep the jar warm... and obviously, some milk.

Has any one made greek yogurt? Any difference in the incubation temp between that and the standard yogurt?

Cacique500: What's that green stuff on the ground? And that lovely melody in the back ground is music to my ears. That short video, was just the ticket to get me out of the winter doldrums, even if just for a moment or 2! Thankyou!!!

Yogurt is very easy to make. all you need is a tablespoon of yogurt with active culture in it, a jar, and a way to keep the jar warm... and obviously, some milk.

Has any one made greek yogurt? Any difference in the incubation temp between that and the standard yogurt?
Don't quote me on this but I believe Greek yogurt is just strained more, to make it thicker. Same ingredients. IMO it's just great marketing gimmick.

Back
Top Bottom