Feeding Raw Yogurt: Do I Just Set It Out In A Dish?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmgirlsomeday, Mar 2, 2014.

1. farmgirlsomeday

farmgirlsomeday Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    One of my hens has Vent Gleet, and I know that raw organic yogurt will help get rid of it (along with the other measures I've taken like trimming all her hind feathers back, cleaning the area, etc). I have never fed my chickens yogurt before; do I just set it out in a dish and let them peck at it? Will they eat it this way? Or do I need to mix something in it? Spoon feed the chicken with the Gleet? All feedback on feeding yogurt appreciated!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i just put it in a dish. they eat/drink it just fine by itself. if you have enough, give them all some. they love it and its good for them. a few messy beaks sometimes, like a child with an ice cream cone.[​IMG]

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    a dish that wont tip over

1 person likes this.
  4. LPeaslee

LPeaslee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Utah
    I mix yogurt with their feed, about 50/50. Its not as messy!

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have over 100 chickens. if i tried to mix it , i couldnt afford it. lol they get a bit and run. poor things, i really need to down size.

6. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    In a dish is fine. We also put some grapes in with it (cut up if the chicks are small). Make sure you stand well back from the frenzy...yogurt slings a pretty good distance... [​IMG]

Here's ours enjoying some yogurt...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thats sweet, mine is more of a get out of my way, climbing on the backs of each other, malay. need more dishes...... need a cow !!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Cacique500: What's that green stuff on the ground? And that lovely melody in the back ground is music to my ears. That short video, was just the ticket to get me out of the winter doldrums, even if just for a moment or 2! Thankyou!!!

Yogurt is very easy to make. all you need is a tablespoon of yogurt with active culture in it, a jar, and a way to keep the jar warm... and obviously, some milk.

Has any one made greek yogurt? Any difference in the incubation temp between that and the standard yogurt?

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    green stuff, i had to go back and look. hahahha

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Don't quote me on this but I believe Greek yogurt is just strained more, to make it thicker. Same ingredients. IMO it's just great marketing gimmick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by