Feeding schedule question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChesbroFarms, Jun 21, 2016.

1. ChesbroFarms

ChesbroFarms Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Meridian ID
    Hi all - my hubby and I debate... Do you all leave food in the run for them all the time? Or just feed them twice a day? My hubby swears they will die without constant food - but I don't remember my Gma or parents doing this... Feeding the chickens twice a day was a chore and we just threw food in for them. We do have 14 teens & 3 mature hens.

My issue is they eat a LOT when given access to constant food and waste at least half. I want healthy chickens but not fatties... :)
    Thank you in advance.

2. vaneneva

vaneneva New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    One of my three day old chicks didnt poop for a day and a half and wouldnt walk or eat he finally pooped but it was a very clear but kinda creamy and slime type of consistency should i be worried? Is there anything i could do?

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Personally we leave feed in the run all day. We hang them a few inches off the ground so the chickens are less likely to scratch it out of the feeder. For us, that has led to a lot less waste. I used to just leave them directly on the ground but there was always a pile scratched out and eventually it would go bad. With them hanging up there is hardly any on the ground at all.

4. ChesbroFarms

ChesbroFarms Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    Meridian ID
    We hang ours also, a couple inches - still with a lot of waste. Maybe we should try hanging them higher up off the ground.

5. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Obviously while they were still babies we used the little chick feeders that sat on the ground. It was amazing that they had the scratching instinct fresh out of the egg. I swear there was more feed on the brooder floor than in their bellies. But as soon as they were big enough to go in the coop, we started hanging the feeders. I have adjustable cargo straps that I can gradually raise up as they get bigger. I try to keep them about chest level and it seems they are less likely to scratch the feed. They will still try to shovel it out with their beaks sometimes, but not as much. I guess maybe they are looking for the prize at the bottom of the Cracker Jack box.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

No, not pooping is not a good thing. You need to post this in our Emergency Section for more help. Chicks should be pooping constantly.

Click here... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

Good luck and I hope you can get your little chick back to good health soon! :)

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Birds in production (growing rapidly / laying eggs) while confined have food nearly all the time. That pattern will lapse when trying to limit feed on ground after dark.

The following requires more monitoring but does allow for greater efficiency. Birds I have on maintenance ration get fed twice daily with bigger feeding in early AM. Second feeding in evening usually a little less than would consume if given option of more. Free-range I use a single feeding in early AM. Adjustments for feed application based on crop fill shortly after birds on roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by