Feeding snails

adam96

Hatching
Aug 13, 2022
Hello!
I know a large patch of forest where there, for some reason, are tons of garden snails. I could easily fill a half a bucket every other day to feed my chickens if I wanted to. However, I do not regularly deworm my chickens and I don't not want to risk them getting parasites. So I was wondering:

Is boiling garden snails enough to remove all parasites that can harm chickens?
If not, is cycling their digestive system by feeding them for a couple days and then boiling them enough? I have seen people do this for human consumption so it must be enough for chickens right?

Moreover:
Are snails safe to feed as the main protein for chickens on a daily basis?
Do chickens even like eating boiled snails regularly?
How should you feed snails to chickens? Should you crush the shell?

Welcome!
Depending on where you are, and what species of snails, different risk factors are probably involved. My first thought is ' no way', 'not happening'. You would need more information from a nearby expert in parasitology, for one.
And nutritional value, no doubt it depends. And I've lived places where some snails were toxic.
Mary

Last edited:
I see. I am positive it is garden snails (Cepaea hortensis) which are edible. I also live in Sweden where I know some people eat them by cycling their stomachs and boiling them. I don't see why chickens could not eat them if they are safe for human consumption. But I am not going to risk it untill I am completely sure. If anyone has any useful info please let me know,

I've heard some snails have a parasite that can survive boiling. I don't like snails and don't eat them so didn't file that info in my memory.

Back
Top Bottom