Feeding spare duck and goose meat from hunting

Mosherd1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
East Windsor, CT
It is getting to that time of year when I begin goose and duck hunting. Often after I take the breast for myself, there are scraps of meat left that are too small for me to keep but could be fed to the chickens. Should I be concerned with feeding raw wild goose meat to my chickens as it relates to disease. Thanks,
-Dave

I can't imagine what disease could be present. Chickens are designed to eat raw meat, and I imaging their digestive systems take care of any pathogens. I don't hunt goose, but my flock gets deer scraps, and scraps from processing chickens. We've discussed getting meat ducks and if we do, the scraps from that will go to the flock. Mine also get fish cleanings/scraps.

If the bird seems fit for your consumption (does not seem sickly, etc) I would feel comfortable giving it to them. The only meats I will not offer raw is commercially farmed poultry or chicken that was not raised on my property, as these have a much greater risk of transferring species-specific pathogens. Off the top of my head, the only parasitic problem that is transmissible from waterfowl to chickens is Cryptosporidiosis-- just handle carcasses carefully. Do not contaminate meat with intestinal contents or droppings, and don't feed the intestines to your birds.

Also, of course, make sure you follow regulations and use steel shot. :)

Back
Top Bottom