feeding sprouts, grass alternative?

Our three adult girls get spinach every morning and various veggie remnants leftover from the day. Hubby throws handfuls of grass clippings to them once a week as well. The girls mow through the grass so quickly, it's amazing. I have two pots with dirt and grass seed planted in them and just last night gave them one of the pots. They ate most of it pretty quickly. I still have the other pot that's growing and will give it to them later in the week. I plan to rotate out the pots. I may add more when the three juveniles are added to the "big girl" house.

The basket and sprouting idea is pretty cool. I'll have to try that in the winter.

I also grow flats of wheat grass for the chickens, but I just bungee cord it to the outside of the run (hardware cloth) so the blades poke through. Works great!

I also grow flats of wheat grass for the chickens, but I just bungee cord it to the outside of the run (hardware cloth) so the blades poke through. Works great!

Do you just sprout the wheat like the lady on the blog or do you use dirt? I like your idea because it seems like the trays would stay clean and there's no feeder to make (or to have my dh make).

Our chickens are used to worms, beetles, moths, vegetable/fruit scraps. We started them off young. They love it all. We also give them the grass from mowing. Makes for good hay and it's kinda like a "surprise" when they find the bugs or seeds mixed in.

I do both Gale65. I sprout the wheat for about 2-3 days in a mason jar then spread it over about an inch of soil in a nursery flat (not under soil). Then I cover it to block the light until the blades get about an inch or so. You can get 2 cuttings from each flat so the first cutting goes to the rabbits then the flat is attached to the run.

I've fenced things in so they can't demolish the plant but can eat what grows through. I've got some wheat, various grasses, alfalfa and some large tree planters with lettuce, tomatoes, parsley and rhubarb.

Chickens absolutely LOVE dandylions and they are very nutritious for them too. Try planting those. Or at least be sure to throw them any that you pull up/cut off from elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom