Feeding The Roosters

Ricky the roo charges for his rolled oats!
wee.gif
pop.gif
:
love.gif

Hens aren't really into the oats
hu.gif
idunno.gif
roll.png

Ricky would eat that all the time if he could, they all get mostly layer mini-pellets and some flax seed, oats, scratch, veggie scraps, grass and bugs.

--Hugh

Mine all eat 50% flock raiser 50% layer pellets I give Oystershell in a seperate dish, Grit in another dish, and scratch, Boss & treats in the run.
they also get all the grass clippings in the summer, and I give Vegetables & scraps when available.

So they can eat what they feel they need.
I have not seen the roo eat oystershell, though he visits the grit dish.

It is probably not as healthy for a rooster to eat layer feed. How long do you want him to live though? It's not going to kill him in a year or 3 or probably even 5. Most are going to die from something other than less than optimal nutrition. Maybe a rooster that lived 8 years would have lived 10 but that doesn't really matter to most people. Even if it does it doesn't matter enough to try to feed him differently. If I had a pen of just roosters I'd probably feed something else but my pens of just roosters have a lifespan of less than 24hours because once I pen them up it means they aren't getting fed so I can butcher them the next day.

Does anyone keep them in separate pens altogether, only letting them mingle with the hens for certain times or something? This is really interesting to me because I think there are different affects of each side. Who knows? Lol.

all of my birds get game bird crumbles [the pheasants were here first and i refuse to buy yet another type of food], i'm not sure of the exact numbers but it has a higher protein content than most chicken feeds but they seem to do just fine on it, especialy in the winter it seems to help them out.

Quote:
My rooster lives with his hens, where he belongs IMO. How can he be their protector and provider if he's only visiting.

Quote:
If they are breeding flocks would the males not need to be with the females? If s, how do they get the males to eat only from their feeders & in turn how do they stop the females from eating from the male's feeders?
Where did you get this information?

Back
Top Bottom