Feeding Whole Grains

Scottyhorse

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
Eastern Wa
I am in the process of switching my goats over to all whole grains, instead of pelleted goat feeds. I believe it is much healthier for them, us (as we drink the milk and will maybe be butchering one too) less expensive, and cheaper.

I am interested in switching our mixed flock over to whole grains as well. None of them are meat chickens,we have layers and some roosters. We're feeding 30-40 chickens, have harsh winters, and need it to be fairly cost effective, but a little more than the Purina stuff is fine. We're not needing organic.

How many of you on here feed whole grains? What is your mix? Is it cost effective? The chickens free range when the weather allows.

Thank you :)

Sydney

I've seen quite a few threads on whole grains already so if you do a forum search, you'll probably find a wealth of information on this topic. The main problem I see with it is getting them a balanced diet. They tend to prefer some grains over others, and will dig through the feeder looking for their favorites, and leaving the rest behind or worse, thrown out of the feeder for the mice and rats to eat.

Back
Top Bottom