Feeding whole sunflower seeds to poultry flock

Yep, they can eat the seed no problem.

My ducks like them, but my chickens don't care for them much.

Shell and inside all will get ground up in the birds gizzard.

During winter months sunflower seeds repressent between 5 and 10% by volume of what my confined birds get. Free-range birds able to get at volunteer heads in feild occassionally eat more. The birds seem to prefer sunflower seeds over most other components of diet. A flock I keep for observations roosting on front porch produces more manageable feces when they eat more sunflower seeds. Benefits with respect to feces I think come from fiberous hulls

I would leave them in the head and hang one up and let them do the work of picking them out. If you leave them out in the field the wild birds will love them. So if you want them and have a place to store the heads, cut the head and store. Preferably hang them so they don't mold.

I have given sunflower seeds to my chickens over the winter. I think they are a good protien source when they cant get to the bugs during those winter months. They eat them whole. I even give them salflower seeds as well, we all hear that the oil in those seeds is good.

Back
Top Bottom