Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
Hanging the bird feeder.
20220610_082202.jpg

I think I just saw a male cardinal feeding a young cowbird. I'm surprised that they could parasitize a cardinal nest. I'll be looking to see if I can positively identify the young bird. Checked the Pheobe nest at the club. Four eggs and no cowbird egg. I'm wondering if this is another pair as the eggs are lightly flecked with reddish specks. All of the eggs in previous nests have been porcelain white.

I found what I assumed to be a cowbird in a bluebird nest by accident. I accidently hit the pole (with my lawn tractor) on a bluebird nest flipping the entire contents on the ground. This is before I put eye bolts on all houses. The contents were 4 baby blue birds and one big hatchling, quite larger than the bluebirds. I suspected cowbird and disposed of it. I then put the nest back in the house along with the remaining hatchlings and closed it up. I watched it close and to my surprise the bluebirds came back and fledged all 4 hatchlings.

I found what I assumed to be a cowbird in a bluebird nest by accident. I accidently hit the pole (with my lawn tractor) on a bluebird nest flipping the entire contents on the ground. This is before I put eye bolts on all houses. The contents were 4 baby blue birds and one big hatchling, quite larger than the bluebirds. I suspected cowbird and disposed of it. I then put the nest back in the house along with the remaining hatchlings and closed it up. I watched it close and to my surprise the bluebirds came back and fledged all 4 hatchlings.
Lucky young bluebirds. In a 'non bird box' type nest the cowbird would have pushed them all out of the nest. There was no parasitization of the second Pheobe nest.

So I found the culprits to my destroyed feeders.... not a bear but raccoons! There were 3 or 4 of them out there this morning, feasting on my boss. A trap has been set up and will be baited tonight. Hopefully I can get rid of them before they start going for my flock.
I used to take my feeder down in the evening because of a coon.

Back
Top Bottom