Feeds affecting laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I was pretty clear it was weeks and haven’t seen anyone say hours or days…. Where do you live again? Up here in the snow where protein for free range chickens is a problem this time of year and needs to be supplemented???
Even down here free ranging supplements the feed. Not the feed supplement free range.

Don't yours stop laying this time of year normally, then? Or at least slow down drastically?
Most years I get cut to about 6-10 eggs a day if I’m maintaining 30 layers. That’s a large difference from zero eggs since 11/1…. I understand a slow down/weather/daylight ect. Ohio has been 65 and -33 in last 4 weeks…. The constant is our crazy weather. Zero eggs is not realistic in 10 weeks. Worst winter I had a predator take out a few chickens before fall and was down to 17 layers I was getting 3-5 eggs a day. Never seen this before. Again I was sure I had something stealing eggs. I had cameras set up reviewed video nothing…. I would add most my layers are in the category of 280 plus eggs a year. I have a few fun chickens for looks but most of them the purpose is laying.

If I’m following all of this right and I’m the crazy one for believing it’s everything but the big box feed store I would note that I have netted approximately 40 minutes of daylight since we are having these long days now of 7:45 am to 5:40 pm. If I only needed an extra 40 minutes of daylight to get my girls to lay on average now of 10,6,7,8 eggs over last four days and it’s been 3 ish weeks of new feed I would have flipped a light on in their coop a couple minutes a day and saved myself 100s of dollars in feed by selling a dozen eggs for 4 bucks a pop.

If I’m following all of this right and I’m the crazy one for believing it’s everything but the big box feed store I would note that I have netted approximately 40 minutes of daylight since we are having these long days now of 7:45 am to 5:40 pm. If I only needed an extra 40 minutes of daylight to get my girls to lay on average now of 10,6,7,8 eggs over last four days and it’s been 3 ish weeks of new feed I would have flipped a light on in their coop a couple minutes a day and saved myself 100s of dollars in feed by selling a dozen eggs for 4 bucks a pop.
How long have they been on the new feed? Wait - 3 weeks. Got it. And what brand? I'm still looking for patterns.

And do you have any of the bad feed left? I'm still trying to hunt down a sample to have tested.

How long have they been on the new feed? Wait - 3 weeks. Got it. And what brand? I'm still looking for patterns.

And do you have any of the bad feed left? I'm still trying to hunt down a sample to have tested.
I have half a bag of producers pride left. I am now buying animal station feed located in centerburg, Ohio made on site.

I have half a bag of producers pride left. I am now buying animal station feed located in centerburg, Ohio made on site.
I would but I bet the cost is same to send to testing facility closer to here? At this point I’m interested and happy too if it clears the air. I’m also happy the local mill is 2 dollars less per bag :bow

I would but I bet the cost is same to send to testing facility closer to here? At this point I’m interested and happy too if it clears the air. I’m also happy the local mill is 2 dollars less per bag :bow
It's about $150 for both tests, if you can swing it. I'd be grateful! I haven't found anyone with the feed in question out here

Has anyone really had their chickens just not lay for 2-3 months at a time? I’m talking zero eggs.
Yes, I have had some hens who completely quit (zero eggs) for several months in the fall/winter season. Depending on how many hens of what breed, someone could have their entire flock stop for that long or longer.

Obviously there are several factors, but I think breed is a big one. For example, at one point I had 2 Chanteclers that laid all winter (about 1 egg every other day, or 2 eggs in 3 days, per hen). And I had 2 Easter Egger Bantams who laid no eggs at all, for months, during the winter. In that case, it was very obvious that I was getting big brown eggs and little green ones at some seasons, but no little green ones in the winter.

Or have I been lucky for 8 years except this year in getting a fraction throughout the snowy months?
It could be partly luck, partly a matter of what breeds you have, and partly a matter of how many chickens you have. The larger the flock, the more chance that someone is still laying at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom