Feel bad for chickens out in the rain/wind/cold!

mrsbos

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Greenacres, WA
O.k. I know chickens are outside animals....but it just gets me to see my three 2 1/2 month old EEs at the patio door, staring at me in my warm kitchen, when it's 40 degrees, windy, and raining outside. I just want to bring them in with me and cuddle with them in front of a warm fire! They would rather stand at the patio and make me feel bad, then cuddle together in their own draft free, dry coop. Hopefully I can make myself feel better by cooking them up some warm oatmeal with apple slices in it or something....that or just spend some more hard earned money on mealworms!

That would give me a guilt trip too. I bet they would love some warm oatmeal with apples. Maybe if you put it in their warm coop they'd stay in there for awhile?

I'm so glad my chickens are out in the yard a bit, not able to reach the house. I would totally give in! Not sure my husband would care for that though!
lol.png

Yeah, today has been a bit much...The best thing we could do for our girls was to make sure the coop is NOT drafty. Tomorrow we'll put up the winter guards,

My girls are ALWAYS standing at my back door, looking in with envy. It breaks my heart! I am such a sucker for those cuties! Even if they are half-way across the yard, as soon as they see me walk by the back door (large, glass, French doors), they come running as if to say, "Let us in, Mom!" I usually toss them a bit of scratch.
hmm.png
I think I might try the warm oatmeal idea!

mine like nothing more than foraging in the rain. I suppose for them it's like Xmas because of all the bugs and worms. Honestly, they simply love it.
lol.png

It sounds like they have you well trained!
big_smile.png

I just checked the coop cam. We aren't having the best weather this morning, either. None of my chickens have left the coop. One is so impressed that she hasn't even gotten off the roost! Maybe she is finding the sound of the rain to be uninspiring.
lol.png

I see some early morning egg laying going on. A little eating and drinking. There are a couple standing in the doorway to the open pop hole, staring outside. They have an air about them that seems to say they are unimpressed with the weather today.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom