Feel-better remedies for colds?

Can't drink alchohol, lol. I'm pregnant, otherwise, I probably would be chilling with a nice bottle of Captain Morgan or a few cans of Yuengling Black and Tan (with our kids at their grandmother's place of course). Actually, I'd be in a drunken stupor, lol. I took a long nap, and woke up feeling like I was kicked in the chest by a horse. It seems like this stupid bug is NEVER going to go away, just morph and change symptoms. My fever is gone, so now my chest HURTS. This completely sucks too, I had to leave work early Thursday, called off Friday, had the weekend off, and I doubt I'm going to make it in Monday either (I can hardly talk now, I sound more like I'm growling). The poor kiddo is coming down with it as well, he's been sleeping ALL day. Poor guy, he's starting off with the fever and a headache just like I did. He's a better sport than I am, he was giggling and smiling during the short periods of time that he was actually up, I swear, he HAS to be the best behaved and most content kid in the history of human kind. I'm probably going to run him in for antibiotics, I can't imagine making him have to suffer through this. (And, no, I'm NOT a fan of antibiotics)

Turn on the bathroom sink and get it hot so that it is steaming. Put a towel over your head and lean over the sink so the towel traps the warm steam. You'll breath it in and it will loosen some of the cold-related gunk.

Stay warm, drink lots of clear liquids, and get plenty of rest.

I've been sipping pickle juice for sinus problems and of course taking mucinex. I've also been taking vitamin C and Echinacea (sp) . But the best remedy I've taken so far has been tomato juice with a dash of hot sauce , lots of salt and pepper and then big splash of Vodka. Oh wait - That's a bloody Mary isn't it. LOL Oh well still good for a cold. I actually don't drink but went over to the neighbors to see if they had any spirits and all they had was a bottle of vodka. So I borrowed some and have been drinking it int he tomato juice every night. It has really helped a lot !! Hope you feel better soon!!

Wayne
n
Tennessee

Add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to 1 cup very warm water. Gargle with this and your throat will feel better. Believe it or not it's not hot. Your lips may burn a little but I usually put on some chapstick before gargling to prevent this. You'd be suprised how well it works and it's not disgusting as it sounds. You can also add a teaspon of honey and a little ACV to help.

I find that Hot and Sour soup helps immensely. It opens up the nasal passages and feels good going down the throat like it is burning all the germs off.

ginger root tea with honey and lemon steep it than sip on it .
for sinus netti pot from the drug store this thing unclogged me when I had a infection I did even need to take antibiotics but if you can't wait steam you head over your sink for 5 to 6 mins put a towel over your head fill the sink with hot water be careful not to get burned than put warm water with a little(pinch) salt in you hand and sniff it up your nose do this a few times on each side if you can get moisture in the air that also helps run a shower or fill a tub with hot water and just let it steam I know some it sounds gross but it will help.Netti pots work real good even for allergy season.
Hope you feel better.
thumbsup.gif

On the same thought as Terri tomato soup with a shot of hot sauce helps clear the nasal passages too.

Soothe a sore throat:
Put a teaspoon of vinegar in a glass of water. Gargle, then swallow. For another great gargle: 1 cup hot water, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 teaspoon vinegar, gargle then drink.

Treat sinus infections and chest colds:
Add 1/4 cup or more vinegar to the vaporizer. (Be sure to check vaporizer instructions for additional water measurement.)

Chest congestion:
To clear up respiratory congestion, inhale a vapor mist from steaming pot containing water and several spoonfuls of vinegar.

Lessen Morning Sickness
Drink some apple cider vinegar in water, with honey added. This concoction can help calm a queasy stomach.

Back
Top Bottom