Feel kinda crappy.....had to shoot a cat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you made a 100% right call
wink.png
Someone wasn't being responsible enough with their animals and it serves them right. Especially if theere had been previous problems

Quote:
Being that the posts under my name were added by my niece, I will be deleting them.

I know that I feel guilty...just as anyone would with the desicion I had to make . Territorial is one thing when it's on it's own turf , but I can't stand idoly by when 3 other cats are not getting fed , and getting the crap beaten out of them because 1 cat is the problem and even then not our problem ( the owners ) . I 100% agree with trying to rehome .....the last time I found a litter of kittens that someone was going to drown.....I took them into our "ASPCA" and almost had to pay $200 to let them take them in . Cats , as well as dogs can be rehabilitated , but when ASPCA or county animal control won't accept it ....what do you do ? Choose the 1 cat over 3 ....or get rid of the cat causing the problem ? Lets face it ....those of us out in the country have to make horrible decisions when it comes to hawks , cats , skunks , weasles , badgers , owls , bears , dogs , coyotes etc . Just because the cats went after my moms cats , doesn't mean it would be any different from a cat going after your chickens .

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you did what you had to do..
hugs.gif
...it wasnt a wild squirrel.
roll.png
gee,lets think about it....ones a carnivore...one eats nuts and bird seed.....come on!
lau.gif
house cats ARE NOT natural wild life in America...it wasnt a cute squirrel going after a nut...
roll.png
it was fighting with your moms cats on her own property....its her choice if she wants to risk a stray/feral cat around her cats...a stray cat that can carry disease!...AND if it was a tom cat..a cat that can kill her cats...or at least injure them badly. you did what you felt like you needed to do at that moment....dont let others try to make you feel bad with their false heroism!
hmm.png
maybe they want stray/disease ridden feral cats fighting with their cats in their OWN yard.....i know i would not tolerate it either!!...a few strays here have taken a ride.....and i love cats, i have 6 indoor ones.

Quote:
Being that the posts under my name were added by my niece, I will be deleting them.

Yes I do shoot gophers because of the life they lead .....destuctive holes all around my 36 acres that will break my horses , or cows legs .

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

Yes I do shoot gophers because of the life they lead .....destuctive holes all around my 36 acres that will break my horses , or cows legs .

thats right! this aint Mister Rogers neighborhood!! Do what you need to do for your own property to be safe.
thumbsup.gif

You've done the right thing. The safety of your animals in your own property trumps any invading predators.

We live at the edge of town and we do have a lot of cats being dumped.... My dogs kept most away, but every now and then we get the odd suicidal ones coming over.

After returning home from a trip to our farm, I log into BYC like I usually do..Hmm I have a message in my inbox. Read the message, thought what the .... and then looked at "my" recent posts.
Then it hit me. My 20 year old niece was staying at my house to take care of our animals while we were gone.
She thinks my chickens are cool, and is very interested in learning more about them.
I figured, BYC would be the perfect spot for her to read up on and see some great pics of chickens. I gave her my password so that she could navigate through the sight easier. She didn't mention she replied to any posts.
I confronted her on the replies, and she said "but they shot the cat for no reason" She is an avid animal lover, volunteers at shelters, and partakes in TNR as I also do. Unfortunately, she thinks all critters are cute and fuzzy, and can do no harm. She's a sweet kid but naive to some real world facts.
I commenced to show her some very graphic photos of attacks on livestock. She almost lost Easter brunch when viewing a goat after a dog attack.
Unionwirewoman, I also had her read your message. It was very well put.
I apologize for all of this, but would also thank you all for opening her eyes a bit. I think she now understands that sometimes these things have to be done.

You did what you did, for reasons that are your own - I'm not gonna moralize.

But a .270 Win for a domestic cat??
ep.gif

Just a little overkill, you think?
th.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Im sorry i would not usally get into some thing this touchy, but how can you of all peaple say= these are your words= ( Just thought it was pretty crappy that some people either dropped the cat off on the mountain , or owned it , just to wander around and not take care of) = when you did what you did? I m such a cat lover I would never do that to a poor cat looking food to survive, think on how hard that cats life is liveing out doors no one to care for , no one to pat it , no one to love it, if anything you could have ctraped it and brought it to an animal shelter at least it would have had some type of chance. I tear for that poor cat.
hit.gif

Quote:
Want to shed some tears as well for my 32 ducklings killed by cats? Some are nearly full grown and miss 2-3 a day, doubt they'll eat them all..... as a cat lover you should know they also hunt for fun, not always food.

Animal shelter here will put down any feral trapped, so you can imagine how scared the animal is tranfered in a box for hours, handled by strangers and jabbed.... a bullet is a far quicker death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom