Feel like coccidia is taking over my chicks

eschlabach15

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
This is our first time with chicks and a few of them have blood in their poo. Our friend that we got them from suggested using corid in case it's coccidia. When I look it up, it says that it's just for beef or dairy animals... Help?

Do remember to mix a fresh batch each time. Water with "stuff" in it grows bad stuff.

edited to rephrase:

The poultry sized dose for adding to a measured amount of water is most easily administered with a syringe (one with ml on it) because of course it's mixed for huge livestock.

Also recommend cleaning out all soiled material from your brooder, scrub the food dish and water container clean too - anywhere there's poo they can peck at.

Here's another good resource on the subject:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited:
Do remember to mix a fresh batch each time.  Water with "stuff" in it grows bad stuff.

edited to rephrase:

The poultry sized dose for adding to a measured amount of water is most easily administered with a syringe (one with ml on it) because of course it's mixed for huge livestock.

Also recommend cleaning out all soiled material from your brooder, scrub the food dish and water container clean too - anywhere there's poo they can peck at.

Here's another good resource on the subject:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

I was told to replace water with the corid mixed water for the duration of the dosage. I believe the link you posted suggests the same thing. How would administering it with a dropper work, then?

I was told to replace water with the corid mixed water for the duration of the dosage. I believe the link you posted suggests the same thing. How would administering it with a dropper work, then?

Sorry if I was unclear - you do replace their water with the Corid mixed water for the dosage, you don't give the chicks straight Corid from the dropper.

I was referring to easy dosing using a syringe to deal with the Corid (I had a gallon of the Corid, which is all the store had on hand at that moment, and pouring into spoons wasn't going well!!) i.e. drawing 9.5cc's out of the Corid container with a 12cc syringe, squirting the Corid into the water, then mixing it.

The other reason I mentioned using a syringe for measuring is it's easier to be precise when mixing say a quart sized water for chicks instead of a gallon.

Now, if the chicks are not drinking the medicated water, a dropper of the premixed solution might be called for - there are threads on how to safely administer fluids orally so they get it down so it can help.

Sorry if I was unclear - you do replace their water with the Corid mixed water for the dosage, you don't give the chicks straight Corid from the dropper. I was referring to easy dosing using a syringe to deal with the Corid (I had a gallon of the Corid, which is all the store had on hand at that moment, and pouring into spoons wasn't going well!!) i.e. drawing 9.5cc's out of the Corid container with a 12cc syringe, squirting the Corid into the water, then mixing it. The other reason I mentioned using a syringe for measuring is it's easier to be precise when mixing say a quart sized water for chicks instead of a gallon. Now, if the chicks are not drinking the medicated water, a dropper of the premixed solution might be called for - there are threads on how to safely administer fluids orally so they get it down so it can help.
That was perfect! Thank you for clarifying!

That was perfect! Thank you for clarifying!

You're welcome and I'm sorry to have added confusion!
Our sick "little" bounced back very quickly with the Corid- having to medicate the whole flock wasn't a joy! Do remember to mark the calendar for the 2nd round of dosing, and good luck!!

I started them all on Corid and have seen a tremendous improvement. Thanks for the help!!

So glad to hear it. Sounds like you caught it in time!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom