Feel like I shouldn't even bother.

To be fair, many people DO think that living in the country means that their animals should be allowed onto neighbors' property, it wasn't a big assumption, especially with the way the post was worded. Glad you had a good talk with the neighbor.

The whole issue is that his dog is coming down here.

Anyway, I spoke to him this weekend and he was so thankful that I let him know about his dog. He said he’s going to be more careful and apologized.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I didn’t need to be jumped all over! Holy smokes. I’m not on here every day....so I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner and clarify it all. Still, I’m surprised anyone would think I’d be upset if my chickens were on his property......that just doesn’t make sense.

nice that u clarify & u talk 2 dog owner & they now goin to help fix problem:)

no 1 is jump on u! u not even mention that dog come to u
ur post say dog 2 house down that big difference:)

It did .....kinda.
But needed clarification, and that was asked for, but many did not wait for that clarification from the OP before spouting off. SMH.

SMH!!! i only give 1 opine on page 1 & then i get call out! soorrrrry not cut it u peeps r ones that patrol posts & correct peeps i give my point view in first place & was talk to OP not any one else
asked for more info & was waiting until ms k adres me then i reply with how i red post

btw next time u want talk bout "some" just name them u can use @ sign & tag them

c if that get report

nice that u clarify & u talk 2 dog owner & they now goin to help fix problem:)

no 1 is jump on u! u not even mention that dog come to u
ur post say dog 2 house down that big difference:)

SMH!!! i only give 1 opine on page 1 & then i get call out! soorrrrry not cut it u peeps r ones that patrol posts & correct peeps i give my point view in first place & was talk to OP not any one else
asked for more info & was waiting until ms k adres me then i reply with how i red post

btw next time u want talk bout "some" just name them u can use @ sign & tag them

c if that get report
Don't take it personally. There were several of us (because I am guilty of it, too) that made assumptions. Aart is right - more clarification was needed.

Unless your neighbor's dog enters your property to kill your chickens you are SOL in the legal sense. Depending on the local codes you might can charge your neighbor and his dog with some infraction but it will be at the expense of your relationship with the neighbor. Then neighbor will likely retaliate and force you to keep your chickens confined.

Glad you talked it over with the neighbor, it's a sensible first step. Hopefully now they will know to keep their dog on their property. I think it would be a good idea to keep the birds confined for a couple more weeks to make sure the dog doesn't keep coming. And if you think they will jump the fence, clipping a wing on each bird might just do the trick. In the meantime, you can add some "boredom busters" to their run.

I sympathize with you. I just recently had to downsize my run too. My flock had free run of half my yard, and now they have a smaller, but more secure run to roam. I worried about them being bored as well, and my lovely SO helped me to turn their little run into a playground. I built dust baths out of old tires (which they LOVE, pictured below), made food puzzles out of juice bottles filled with scratch with a couple small holes in the sides, added some stumps to jump on, and the SO built a GLORIOUS jungle gym for them with a flock block at the top (also pictured below). I also hang lettuce from the jungle gym so they can play tether ball, lol. And with all this fun stuff, they really don't seem to mind being more cooped up than before.

Free ranging is undoubtedly the most natural way to raise chickens , but it comes with risks and almost certain occasional losses. But if you decide to keep them penned from now on, there are definitely ways to help keep them from being bored and keep you enjoying the experience of raising your birds. Hang in there :hugs

18908.jpeg

20180402_172214.jpg

Glad you talked it over with the neighbor, it's a sensible first step. Hopefully now they will know to keep their dog on their property. I think it would be a good idea to keep the birds confined for a couple more weeks to make sure the dog doesn't keep coming. And if you think they will jump the fence, clipping a wing on each bird might just do the trick. In the meantime, you can add some "boredom busters" to their run.

I sympathize with you. I just recently had to downsize my run too. My flock had free run of half my yard, and now they have a smaller, but more secure run to roam. I worried about them being bored as well, and my lovely SO helped me to turn their little run into a playground. I built dust baths out of old tires (which they LOVE, pictured below), made food puzzles out of juice bottles filled with scratch with a couple small holes in the sides, added some stumps to jump on, and the SO built a GLORIOUS jungle gym for them with a flock block at the top (also pictured below). I also hang lettuce from the jungle gym so they can play tether ball, lol. And with all this fun stuff, they really don't seem to mind being more cooped up than before.

Free ranging is undoubtedly the most natural way to raise chickens , but it comes with risks and almost certain occasional losses. But if you decide to keep them penned from now on, there are definitely ways to help keep them from being bored and keep you enjoying the experience of raising your birds. Hang in there :hugs

View attachment 1324930
View attachment 1324931
I like the first pic with those perches attached to the pole. Thanks for idea, and I may stagger those around it.

Back
Top Bottom