Feeling AWFUL!!! What did I do to my chicken?? :(

mommyofthree

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
So we put up a nice fence for our free range chickens (who wouldn't stay out of the neighbor's yard) and they now have 2 acres to free range. Well obviously that is not enough (or they just want to be closer to us) because some of them jump over the fence and come up by the house.

Today I was trying to catch one after it jumped the fence. She's a 5 month old Isa Brown. I had her cornered and when I jumped to the side to catch her I lost my balance and she ran right by my foot, and I ended up stomping right on her head/neck. Because the grass was wet I slipped a bit and it happened so fast I couldn't help but put some weight on her.
hit.gif
She fell over and instantly I thought she was dead. I picked her up and she was limp, I brought her back by the other hens and set her down, she fluffed up and stood fine, but I saw that one of her eyes was not open. She just stood there and held her head down for awhile with both eyes closed. Then she was walking around but is obviously not herself, and the one eye is still shut. We left her alone for awhile and then cold not find her, I found her tonight hiding in a corner outside by the coop. She seems to have lost her spunk and did not care or make a fuss when I picked her up. I feel soooo awful!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif

Should I wait it out and see how she is in a few days? What kind of damage could I have done? She's obviously not paralyzed but she seems like she is in pain or shock. I don't want her to suffer but I don't want to kill her if she'll be alright. Did I mention how bad I feel??
hit.gif

Well, don't keep kicking yourself over it - this stuff happens - chickens are different than other animals - they sometimes go into like a shock-like stage where they seem to be in a stupor - if you isolate the bird and keep it quiet maybe with electrolytes for a few days, it may be OK. I had a bird picked up and dropped by a hawk once - I put him in a crate with vitamins/electrolytes in his water for a week and he was fine. He kept his eyes closed for a week, then slowly one eye opened, a few days later another one did.
Maybe wing-clipping is in their future?

Thanks, yes I think we will be clipping their wings. I told my husband that after that I was not going to try to catch them again if they jump the fence. At least they are staying out of the neighbor's yard now when the majority of the flack is in the back yard.

I just really hope her eye is ok!! It looks like it might be a little swollen. If she still looks lethargic tomorrow I might try separating her and see if it helps. I just don't want to stress her out even more.
sad.png

Sweetie dont feel bad.
hugs.gif
Accidents happen. I was trying to catch one of mine to keep it from getting out of the coop, I looked up and realized the gate had not latched behind me and the neibors dog was standing there. I panicked and grabbed for her, I fell forward and pushed her in to the door
sad.png
I must have broken her neck, she let out an awful screech and fell over, dead. I felt horrible. It was my first flock, they were only a few months old.

It really sounds like she will be alright. Just keep her quiet and alone if you can, and give her some time. Also give yur self a break
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
hit.gif
I don't have any advice, but what Jerseygirl said sounds good. Just keep an eye on her, make sure the others can't pick on her, and you truly have my sympathies. We have our chickens, turkeys, and guineas on 2 acres across the street from our house and occasionally if I'm in the backyard where they can see me, they will jump their fence, cross the street, and stand at my fence squawking at me to let them in. breaks your heart when they escape and get hurt, and no matter what you do, they always seem to find a way to escape! best of luck with your baby...

I agree with jerseygirl1, these things do happen- definitely isolate her and give her water mixed with electrolyte powder- they sell poultry electrolytes at most feed stores. You can also use pedialyte, or gatorade in a pinch- but gatorade has a high sugar content so I wouldn't use too much. If she wont drink on her own you can use a dropper and drip the fluid on her beak which will prompt her to drink. You can also feed her scrambled eggs for extra protein, plain yogurt, cooked oatmeal with buttermilk mixed in, along with her regular feed. I hope she pulls through, good luck!
hugs.gif

Give her some time. My rooster, trying to elude capture ran straight into a wall and knocked himself out. He was like a limp rag, eyes closed and panting for half an hour, me sobbing the whole time. I laid him in a dog crate and made myself walk away for awhile. An hour later he was sitting up and by the next day was doing better. As long as she isn't in pain I say give her time to see if she can recover, it seems they are much tougher than I ever gave them credit for! I really hope she's ok.

is there a way you can bring her in the house for a bit.. if the other chickens figure out she is injured they may start to pick...

I had my rooster coming through the pop door and i didnt see him and i closed the door right on him.. across his neck.. his head was on the outside and his body was on the inside... their pop door closes with a THUD! i thought i broke his neck.. i brouhgt him in and within a few days he was ok... wont go through the pop door anymore he uses the people door.

Quote:
I can't bring her in the house but we have a 12x4 coop that is empty, I could keep her in there for awhile. Our chickens and ducks were all in there until a couple of weeks ago when we made them a really big coop, so it's not a new place and maybe she can recuperate and feel comfortable in there.
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words, it does help me feel better. I know it was an accident but it still makes me feel bad knowing that I did it.

Is she able to walk straight? Do her feet and legs move normally? Does she hold her head normally? She could have inflammation of the brain or spine, even mildly, that would cause her to have issues.

Is there a vet that sees birds you can take her to for anti-inflammatories? Or a cow/horse vet willing to look up the right anti-inflammatories safe for chickens and give to you (legally they have to look the bird over first!). I have no idea about egg withdraw with these drugs though.

And she may not even need drugs if she's just in a stupor as others suggested. There is no way to tell over the internet though.

I hope she is better by morning. Chickens can be tough, but they can also be fragile.

Back
Top Bottom