Feline Urinary Tract Infection ****PICTURE OF SMOKEY ADDED ****

WOW ....I looked at the site and all I can say is they charge prices like that it pay for the cost of the building.

Glad smokey is better but still WOW.

I had to have a vet out 2 weeks ago my cat was having kittens and one was dead and stuck... So I though here goes the saving. She can to my home at 9 pm and gave her a couple of shots and removed the kiteen all for $45. bucks .. I have found the new vet. She is a mobile vet that does both house and farm animlas. Mabey you should check around for that type if they are cheaper.

Yea, my horse vet gives shots to my dog and any barn cats that I can catch at the time. It's typically $10 per animal. Granted the farm call is $30 and the horse gets about $100 or more stuff done to him when she comes out. But it's still cheaper than taking the animals to the vet and them charging a fee for just walking through the door (which is about $35).

But for emergencies, I'm still stuck taking the animals to the vet and I don't typically leave for anything less than $100.

They have a really nice new building too!!
hmm.png

Southern, it sounds like you were robbed!

I love my small town vet. They genuinely care about your animals and the owners. If you have a large bill and can't pay the entire amount, they will let you pay as much as you want each month as long as you pay something! They are truly great people.

i won't go on the "over-vaccination" rant, but i'll share a story about my cat from a few years ago.

my kitty is 17 years old and a strict indoor cat. every year i'd drag her to the vet's office for her annual well-check & necessary vaccinations. usually ran me about $150.
the last time i took her in a few years ago was hellish. she, like most cats, hates taking car trips. this was a particularly bad trip. she managed to poop 3 times on the way there, screaming the whole way. (normally she just accepts her fate with quiet dignity ~ not this trip)

so i decided that was it. what the heck was i vaccinating her against anyway? she hasn't stepped a paw outside in eons.

i called the vet and said that's it, she's not coming back anymore. i'm not going to say she died because i still want to be able to bring in, in case of an emergency. but i don't want to torture her unnecessarily anymore.

the vet freaked out on me. said it was illegal and that i was killing my cat by not vaccinating her, etc.
i asked how so?
vet said she can still get rabies if a bat finds it's way into the house.
i said well if a bat or raccoon finds it's way in the house i'll bring her in.

give me a break.

i've since found another vet who is just as expensive but has her feet on planet earth.

glad to hear smokey is ok, what do you think possessed him to pee in the dish washer?

glad to hear smokey is ok, what do you think possessed him to pee in the dish washer?

I read that when they have UTI they sometimes will try to pee in the sink or bathtub. Something about a cool, smooth surface. Oh well, I have 6 cats so it's not like I'm not used to cleaning up cat pee.

He's doing good today. He's been sleeping on the couch and not much straining to pee has been going on. He's also real good at taking his meds. I just put them in my hand and he eats the pills right out of my palm. Silly boy.​

Here's Smokey recovering from his infection. He looks small but he's 14 lbs. He's really skinny because he spends most of his time outside catching snakes and squirrels.

You'll notice my couch is falling apart. Every new tear gets a patch. I kinda like my patchy couch. It's different.

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

Smokey is so cute, he looks like my kittie Tiny that I had years ago. So glad he is feeling better. I had a cat a few years ago that would pee in the tub, wonder if he had a UTI. He was a barn cat but also indoor cat. He disappeared 2 yrs ago this past Easter. The FIV tests(leukemia), well I had 2 cats that died from the disease when I was a teenager. It starts as a virus from a neighboring cat(can just be a carrier), some cats have less immune systems and end up getting the disease. It was horrible, my cats had siezures and couldn't walk and went downhill fast. The vet bill was unbelievable, cause when they did the blood tests, they had to send it to another city to be analyzed. So far, our 2 cats we have now are healthy and are indoor kitties. We haven't given them shots or anything, cause taking them to the vet would cost well over $200 bucks a piece. I'll have to check out our local feed store to see if they sell the shots cheaper, we could use them on our dogs.

You can give all your vaccines (sp?) at home. Try Jeffer's Pet Supply, they have all that you need.

However, most states, including NC, do not recognize rabies shots given by pet owners as being state legal. Rabies are really bad here. I wouldn't think of not having my "kids" getting theirs. Luckily most cities and counties hold $5 shot clinics in the spring and summer.

My cat had a UTI a few years back. After our $400 vet bill we found out that if you give the cat crystallized vitamin C it breaks up the blockage. So, we gave him better quality food and put a teaspoon of vitamin C in with raw ground turkey as a treat. Now, any time I suspect another UTI surfacing I start giving him that daily. It seems to work. He's 11 years old and still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom