female Ameraucana chicks

Thank you. Your reply has been incredibly informative. Still I would like to breed Ameraucanas in spite of it all!!! I love the beard, muff, and ear tufts. No worries, I will sell them as Easter Eggers until I get a manageable flock. Maybe I should go to more shows!

I also think that since this breed is so new and so hotly debated, nothing will be settled in the near future and there will be confusion for awhile.

Yeah, it's complicated. And many birds with newer/harder to achieve standards or rarer histories are. The politics of categorical definition exists in every animal hobby. You should see the debates on purple starburst tarantulas! There's been a recent divide in the dog community over the AKC definitions of the Miniature American Shepherd (entered AKC status 2011) and the breeders of Mini Australian Shepherds (which were usually small aussie shepherds crossed with shelties then back and interbred for a few generations) from which the AKC MAS originated. It's wack but interesting.

Going to shows and learning from people who have been breeding for a long time goes a long way. :)

Look at the spelling of the breed that McMurray Hatchery has advertised. It is slightly different than the APA breed Ameraucana. That is how they are able to categorically specify they sell Americanas, because of the spelling difference. This is not the only hatchery that does this. Unfortunately, this particular misrepresentation of facts is not the only one I’ve come across in my few short years of being a chicken keeper. IMHO, the biggest misrepresentation I’ve come across is the specifications of prefab coops that are sold. Nearly every stat is sorely exaggerated. Being a new chicken keeper, it was hurtful and disgusting to me that I could be duped in the way that I was. I have learned so much in the 3 1/2 years I have had chickens. I continuously read and learn something new every day.

BYW, I do have both Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas and love them both.

very interesting thread. Let's keep it going. I want to breed these darling birds, want to follow what others are saying. Thx. for all the replies. ChocolateMouse, you are a brainiac!

I haven't read all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating. The only hatchery that sells Ameraucana's is Cackle Hatchery period. The others are liars. I have very expensive Cackle Ameraucana's , I don't show so they are fine for me, and they are very nice looking quality hatchery birds. There is a big thread on here showing the differences between Ameraucana's, Araucana's, and Easter Eggers. By the way there is nothing wrong with Easter Egger's. They come in a variety of coloring and lay (usually) pretty green eggs. My Ameraucana's lay really blue blue eggs.

My Pet Chicken is not a hatchery. They order for their customers from other hatcheries.

My black and lavender varieties are extremely calm and friendly, and very broody this year.

My avatar was a couple of blue Easter Eggers I hatched.

I haven't read all the replies so sorry if I'm repeating. The only hatchery that sells Ameraucana's is Cackle Hatchery period. The others are liars. I have very expensive Cackle Ameraucana's , I don't show so they are fine for me, and they are very nice looking quality hatchery birds. There is a big thread on here showing the differences between Ameraucana's, Araucana's, and Easter Eggers. By the way there is nothing wrong with Easter Egger's. They come in a variety of coloring and lay (usually) pretty green eggs. My Ameraucana's lay really blue blue eggs.

My Pet Chicken is not a hatchery. They order for their customers from other hatcheries.

My black and lavender varieties are extremely calm and friendly, and very broody this year.

My avatar was a couple of blue Easter Eggers I hatched.

I believe Meyer offers pure Ameraucanas as well.

The only hatchery that sells Ameraucana's is Cackle Hatchery period. The others are liars. I have very expensive Cackle Ameraucana's
I must respectfully disagree. There are several other hatcheries that sell purebred Ameraucanas. You must know what you are looking for when selecting purebred Ameraucanas. I believe some hatcheries began selling Easter Eggers labeled as Americanas and that must have begun the confusion. And then somewhere along the line the two different spellings got crossed. Of course I don’t know this to be fact, it is just my take.

The last bit of the post speaking of very expensive Ameraucanas from Cackle I find strange. The prices I’ve seen on Cackle’s Ameraucanas are not really that expensive. The Blue Ameraucanas I purchased from Myer Hatchery were almost three times the amount of Cackle’s.
But, then again, dollar amounts are purely subjective.

Now whether or not we agree is not so much the point as our conversations bringing awareness to the discrepancy of the purebred Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom