1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Female duck not laying. Really concerned!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by favred120, Mar 13, 2016.

1. favred120

favred120 New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    Hi, new to the backyard chickens community but I have been reading post for a while. My story is that I am a first time duck owner and have 2 female Peckin duck about 6 months now. They are from the same brood. The problem is only one is laying eggs and the other isn't. I have looked everywhere cause I know they are prone to hiding them but I don't see anything. I wouldn't be as concerned but they were born the same time so I figured they should start at the same. Is this something I should be concerned with?

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome! :frow

Good luck with your ducks.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

You can check in with the duck forum members and see if they think you should be concerned. Is she eating and pooping ok? Is she showing any signs of illness? I know with some of my chickens, even if they are the same breed, don't all start laying at the same time.

I hope all is well, thanks for joining us.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Birds don't all mature at the same time even within the same breed. I'd cut her some slack. Is she acting healthy otherwise, good appetite, activity level, poo . You could also post on the "duck thread," if you are concerned she may be unwell.

1 person likes this.
  6. favred120

favred120 New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    Yea she is healthy otherwise, but I did post in tbe duck thread and someone did help me out. Thank you [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by