Female goose won't eat.Help.

Kathymann

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
I have a male and female goose. The female suddenly stopped eating and lays down. She will walk around for a minute and then lay down. She did drink some water today. She has been laying some eggs. I found her at the pond lying down with the male cackling loudly over her I picked her up and put her in the pen. They are African grey geese. What could be wrong with her? They are about 4 years old.

Last edited:
I have a male and female goose. The female suddenly stopped eating and lays down. She will walk around for a minute and then lay down. She did drink some water today. She has been laying some eggs. I found her at the pond lying down with the male cackling loudly over her I picked her up and put her in the pen. They are African grey geese. What could be wrong with her? They are about 4 years old.
She could be egg bound you might want to put her in a warm tub of water and see if that helps. She also may need niacin and you can use brewer's yeast for animals on her feed to get the niacin.

My goose had this and almost died. It's probably calcium deficiency. Her body took all the calcium from her leg bones and stuck it into producing eggs, which is why she won't walk or move. She's in too much pain to eat. Get her to a vet- they'll give her a shot of calcium. Then make sure to feed laying pellets and lots of oyster shell. My goose couldn't walk for about a week afterwards in recovery, but we put her in the kiddie pool and kept the gander from mating (and hurting/drowning) her. If you're afraid she might be starving, hand her some dandelion greens and flowers. Mine would eat those, and they have vitamin K, which helps the body absorb calcium.

Eventually she'll recover, but be quick.

Back
Top Bottom