Female Muscovy with injured leg

Thank you! She is still the same today but I will keep checking on her. Do you know if a broken leg will heal on its own with time or could this possibly be the end for her?
She will definitely be more vulnerable to predators poor girl. It will most likely heal but she may end up with a limp, as long as the break isn't a compound fracture that wound need medical attention.
They are amazing at healing so hopefully she has a good chance. Any idea how she was injured?

She will definitely be more vulnerable to predators poor girl. It will most likely heal but she may end up with a limp, as long as the break isn't a compound fracture that wound need medical attention.
They are amazing at healing so hopefully she has a good chance. Any idea how she was injured?
She has two large male Muscovy body guards so I’m wondering if it was a mating injury. Another thought is she placed her nest where she could easily be cornered by a predator. She has abandoned the nest so I’m wondering if she was injured there. I keep hoping to see her putting some weight on it but so far nothing. She flaps her wings but I have not noticed her flying. Can they fly with a broken leg?

I wouldn't think a broken leg would keep them from flying but it might hinder getting off the ground as easily.
Did she have eggs in the nest and they have been eaten? She may have tried to protect her nest and got injured but I would think if her leg injury was from a predator she would have other injuries too. Like bite wounds. Unless as she was escaping she somehow injured her leg. Hard to know what may have happened. And then again 2 large drakes to one lone female can cause injuries too But I will say when I had more than one Muscovy drake I never saw them gang up on one female they would have ended up fighting each other instead. But again mine are not feral where they live completely different.

I wouldn't think a broken leg would keep them from flying but it might hinder getting off the ground as easily.
Did she have eggs in the nest and they have been eaten? She may have tried to protect her nest and got injured but I would think if her leg injury was from a predator she would have other injuries too. Like bite wounds. Unless as she was escaping she somehow injured her leg. Hard to know what may have happened. And then again 2 large drakes to one lone female can cause injuries too But I will say when I had more than one Muscovy drake I never saw them gang up on one female they would have ended up fighting each other instead. But again mine are not feral where they live completely different.
The eggs are still in the nest. I’m shocked they have not been eaten. I also have not witnessed my big boys gaining up on her. They seem to protect her more than anything. We have a weird dynamic here. We have 5 males total and 2 are stuck like glue to each other. I’m thinking they are possibly father and son since one is very old and sweet. The younger male fights any other Muscovy that comes near our older resident. He doesn’t get around real well anymore and seems to be blind in one eye and not able to see well out of the other. But the neighborhood takes good care of him.

Back
Top Bottom