Female pekin mate

GeneralSV

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
Help! This is my first year raising ducks. Unfortunately, my female pekin's mate had died unexpectedly and now she seems depressed. She hasn't been eating her food or swimming. When I went to check on her her neck keeps wobbling. What should I do? Also, she has two ducklings but they were born through the incubator since she kept laying them everywhere, is there a way I can get them or her to accept each other?

Hi, could you upload a video to youtube or Vimeo and then copy/paste the link here.
I don't have a video of her, but I went to check on her and she was no longer wobbling her head, instead, she seems to be hiding. Should I bring in another male?

You have two ducklings. How old are they and what do you plan to do with them? If you plan to keep them, then bring in another male would be a very bad idea. You have a 50% chance of one male duckling, and a 25% chance of two male ducklings. With such a small flock you cannot have two males. You can have all females though.

You have two ducklings. How old are they and what do you plan to do with them? If you plan to keep them, then bring in another male would be a very bad idea. You have a 50% chance of one male duckling, and a 25% chance of two male ducklings. With such a small flock you cannot have two males. You can have all females though.
They are about a week old, I am planning to keep them as these are her first ducklings. Is there a way I can get them closer to their mother?

The duckings and the mother are unaware that they are a family. You have to treat them as though they are just strangers that need to form a flock. When mixing two groups of ducks there can be a bit of fighting, but it usually isn't serious. However, ducklings are too young for that, so you need to wait until they are older. At 8 weeks you should have no problem. You can probably combine them a couple of weeks earlier, just monitor the situation and be quick to separate them again if need be. One of the best things to do is to keep them separated, but visible to each other.

If both of the ducklings turn out to be males, you will want to get rid of them. They will fight each other viciously to earn the right to mate with your female (who happens to be their mother, but they don't know that). You need a much larger number of females if you want to successfully keep two drakes.

Back
Top Bottom