Female Peking Not Eating

AZ Ducks

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2018
She seemed ok Friday. We were gone all day Sat. Was out in their coop, have another female and one drake, and she was not acting right: hiding in the back of the coop, shy, not very active at all. Changed their water, she got in and drank some, but the other two seemed to ignore her. We have a spare small red coop and moved her to it. She has lost weight, barely talks, but makes some noise when we go in the coop. She has pooped and peed, and been laying eggs, even today. But, something is wrong, she is not eating. I don't know what to do. Help!!

Can you get a pic of her poop @casportpony is our resident poop inspector and can tell a lot by their poop. Also please give us other things like what you feed and is the drake been mating her a lot? Have you looked her over for anything unusual ?
Will try to get a pic of next poop. She has only gone once since putting in separate coop. And my son and I picked it apart looking for worms or what not. Part of it was dark green and the other part was black green, firm. I don't think he is over mating. He loves fresh water and we change it every other day. Usually the only time we see him mate. They are on crumbles and fresh veggies: lettuce, melons, bell peppers, squash, cucumbers. Usually run them through the processor shredded. The other two are fin. We looked her over, couldn't see or feel anything wrong. She was fine to me holding her, but pulled away from my son looking at her: tried to look in mouth as she will open, but no noise, felt her neck, feet, tummy, nothing.

How's she doing????
Good morning all. Well she is doing a lot better. We put her back in the main coop and the drake would not stop mating with her. So, he went to the red coop. Between the would chips, which are now gone, and him on her, I'm just not sure what happened. But, she is doing fine. She took a big poop last three days. Got a pic of her poop before we moved her back into main coop. I think we will only be mating for babies. Can't seem to find the pic on my pc, sent it there???? Gonna have to work on my pc skills. We'er doing baby chicks this year. Thanks again for all your help.

Have you gotten a pic of her poop yet? How about trying some of her favorite treats to get her a bit in her belly.....but take a pic of poop first...we don't want the treats you give her to affect the poop color/texture.
Well, had a heck of a time getting back into the forum. This is new to me. So, no more poop. Not sure what to think except she's not been eating longer that I thought. She is drinking: vitamins, mineral oil, fish oil, etc. She has started eating, crumbles. Gave her a cup last night and she ate it. The drake and other female are yelling at her and she does talk back. We have them on wood shavings. Wonder is she ate one. Just not sure what to think. Waiting for another poop, that's for sure. Don't want to put her back with the drake until she looks better. Thank you all so much for your feedback. New at the duck bus.

How old is your duck? Usually once ducklings get a few weeks old and learn what their food is they hardly ever will eat their shavings especially if they are older . Unless of course they are being starved then they may eat their shavings. Shavings have so much more absorbency than straw I could never rec using straw for waterfowl bedding only because I had used it before and there is no comparison between the two when it comes to being absorbant

How old is your duck? Usually once ducklings get a few weeks old and learn what their food is they hardly ever will eat their shavings especially if they are older . Unless of course they are being starved then they may eat their shavings. Shavings have so much more absorbency than straw I could never rec using straw for waterfowl bedding only because I had used it before and there is no comparison between the two when it comes to being absorbant
:goodpost:

I am glad to hear she is doing well! I would change to straw. I have heard that some times ducks will eat wood shavings and it will absorb the water that had been drank and then....I don't know what happens after the absorption in there belly.... I would get her off that and get her on straw!
Yup, you read my mind. Taking the wood shavings out today. Going to get straw now. They are 8 months old. They have food all the time. Try never to let is run low/out. Keep is fresh and clean. But, not sure what else to think. Have a poop picture, on my phone. Gonna try to get it to my pc to post. It is very dry, and she has been drinking lots of water. Thanks again to all of you for your help. It is so nice to know I have a place to seek advise for our foul. Going to keep you posted till I know she is good.

Back
Top Bottom