Females are male aggressive?

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
Wondering if anyone here has experience with this and if there is anything I can do about it.

I had 4 female coturnix in a pen with 1 male. (Indoors, 7.5 sq feet)

They are 14 weeks old. They've each been laying an egg a day for around 5-6 weeks.

About a week ago, the male began constantly mating with the girls, all girls were missing most feathers from the backs of their heads. I removed the male.

A couple of days later, introduced a different male, the girls didn't like him. Found him hiding in a hut with most head feathers gone.

Removed him, introduced another different male. Girls beat him up too.

Re-introduced the original male. Girls beat him up.

Introduced all 3 of the males to the 4 females, came back a couple of hours later, all 3 males were hiding in the hut, afraid of the females.

All of the other quail are fine, I have a pen with 5 females and 1 male that is getting along fine. I have 5 males living together in a large area and they never fight anymore.

What am I gonna do here? I would like fertile eggs from this group.

This is the original male... just read the caption on the newspaper. Coincidentally, it fits.

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_1448175.jpg
    IMG_20210115_1448175.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the reply.

They were quite frazzled by the original male and seemed discontent, but I didn't expect them to become completely male aggressive savage man haters.

I will definitely try introducing the females to a male in the spring on different turf to see how that plays out.

I watched the girlies for a bit and think I did pinpoint an aggressor.

I now have 3 single ladies in a pen, and 1 nasty girl out with 5 boys. They want nothing to do with her. :lau

I'm working on a separate pen to try to better suit myself and the birds.
I like to build pens with dividers. It makes it easier to both separate and integrate them.

I have the aggressor in a separate pen with a different male presently. They are getting along, and he's pretty docile. You're right, the dynamics can change in a single day. See how they fare tomorrow. He was happy with the bachelors but let's just hope he knows how to treat a girl right.

Wondering if anyone here has experience with this and if there is anything I can do about it.

I had 4 female coturnix in a pen with 1 male. (Indoors, 7.5 sq feet)

They are 14 weeks old. They've each been laying an egg a day for around 5-6 weeks.

About a week ago, the male began constantly mating with the girls, all girls were missing most feathers from the backs of their heads. I removed the male.

A couple of days later, introduced a different male, the girls didn't like him. Found him hiding in a hut with most head feathers gone.

Removed him, introduced another different male. Girls beat him up too.

Re-introduced the original male. Girls beat him up.

Introduced all 3 of the males to the 4 females, came back a couple of hours later, all 3 males were hiding in the hut, afraid of the females.

All of the other quail are fine, I have a pen with 5 females and 1 male that is getting along fine. I have 5 males living together in a large area and they never fight anymore.

What am I gonna do here? I would like fertile eggs from this group.
maybe introduce the females to a male in the bachelor cage (his turf) to see if the dynamic changes. or wait until spring when the testosterone levels increase to try again?? but will most definitely require a change in environment to break the female aggressive tendencies.

Back
Top Bottom