Females are male aggressive?

Ruby Rogue

Free Ranging
Mar 31, 2020
Atlantic Canada
Wondering if anyone here has experience with this and if there is anything I can do about it.

I had 4 female coturnix in a pen with 1 male. (Indoors, 7.5 sq feet)

They are 14 weeks old. They've each been laying an egg a day for around 5-6 weeks.

About a week ago, the male began constantly mating with the girls, all girls were missing most feathers from the backs of their heads. I removed the male.

A couple of days later, introduced a different male, the girls didn't like him. Found him hiding in a hut with most head feathers gone.

Removed him, introduced another different male. Girls beat him up too.

Re-introduced the original male. Girls beat him up.

Introduced all 3 of the males to the 4 females, came back a couple of hours later, all 3 males were hiding in the hut, afraid of the females.

All of the other quail are fine, I have a pen with 5 females and 1 male that is getting along fine. I have 5 males living together in a large area and they never fight anymore.

What am I gonna do here? I would like fertile eggs from this group.

Wondering if anyone here has experience with this and if there is anything I can do about it.

I had 4 female coturnix in a pen with 1 male. (Indoors, 7.5 sq feet)

They are 14 weeks old. They've each been laying an egg a day for around 5-6 weeks.

About a week ago, the male began constantly mating with the girls, all girls were missing most feathers from the backs of their heads. I removed the male.

A couple of days later, introduced a different male, the girls didn't like him. Found him hiding in a hut with most head feathers gone.

Removed him, introduced another different male. Girls beat him up too.

Re-introduced the original male. Girls beat him up.

Introduced all 3 of the males to the 4 females, came back a couple of hours later, all 3 males were hiding in the hut, afraid of the females.

All of the other quail are fine, I have a pen with 5 females and 1 male that is getting along fine. I have 5 males living together in a large area and they never fight anymore.

What am I gonna do here? I would like fertile eggs from this group.
maybe introduce the females to a male in the bachelor cage (his turf) to see if the dynamic changes. or wait until spring when the testosterone levels increase to try again?? but will most definitely require a change in environment to break the female aggressive tendencies.

Thanks for the reply.

They were quite frazzled by the original male and seemed discontent, but I didn't expect them to become completely male aggressive savage man haters.

I will definitely try introducing the females to a male in the spring on different turf to see how that plays out.

I watched the girlies for a bit and think I did pinpoint an aggressor.

I now have 3 single ladies in a pen, and 1 nasty girl out with 5 boys. They want nothing to do with her. :lau

I'm working on a separate pen to try to better suit myself and the birds.
I like to build pens with dividers. It makes it easier to both separate and integrate them.

This is the original male... just read the caption on the newspaper. Coincidentally, it fits.

Attachments

• IMG_20210115_1448175.jpg
    IMG_20210115_1448175.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 28
your male to female ratio should be 4 or 5 females to 1 male. If you had a 4 to 1 ratio and wanted to add a new male you should remove the other. Your asking for trouble putting 1 hen in with 4 or 5 males same with 4 hens to 4 male. There will be nothing but fighting and over breeding. Hens may stop laying as well

Back
Top Bottom