Fenbendazole & Corid

KRYSTLE M

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
Good morning all.

Sick 3 yo hen with pale comb, lethargy, loss of appetite and water stool mainly white. Crop empty for the last week.

They are not on a regular worm schedule ( I am now implementing this) treated with poultry dewormer 5x (fenbendazole) 4 days ago. Also started corid treatment In water on day 2. She is isolated.

Question is, worms? Or coccidiosis? Can I do the dewormer again while on Corid? The bottle recommended 3 day dose for heavier loads.

I am just guessing at this point which it is, if it is even either.

Can I treat for both or will this overload her?

Did she show any blood in her stool? Usually, bright red blood in the stool is your leading indicator of coccidiosis.

Corid can be really tough on their intestinal systems, so be sure to supplement her with something like plain yogurt.

I would hold off on adding anymore dewormings until you are done with the Corid treatment.

No blood. Just watery stool thus far. She won't eat plain yogurt right now but I am putting a vitamin and probiotoc in the water as well. Seems to be feeling better today as she is eating a little more. Just didn't know which treatment to continue. She was fading so fast I just did the 2 things the symptoms mimicked.

Corid treatment is 5 days I read?

Be careful with vitamins if treating corrid. Vitamins negate the effect of the medocone. How is her weight? She seems to be reacting positively to something, so do not do any more fembemdazole, it may have worked.

If it were me i would switch to doing a drench of corrid and she should get fresh water and electrolyte to combat the dehydration from the diarreah. My anticocci medicine dose is 3-5 days, corrid says 5 days, but if you drench, it is maybe less. By drench i mean administer a full dose in her beak in the morning, and let her eat and drink normally all day. Monitor her eating and how the medicine is working again at night.

Keep the electrolytes and maybe a 10% sugar solution in her beak, but the vitamins are antogonizing the corrid medicine, if she does have cocci.

Be careful with vitamins if treating corrid. Vitamins negate the effect of the medocone. How is her weight? She seems to be reacting positively to something, so do not do any more fembemdazole, it may have worked.

If it were me i would switch to doing a drench of corrid and she should get fresh water and electrolyte to combat the dehydration from the diarreah. My anticocci medicine dose is 3-5 days, corrid says 5 days, but if you drench, it is maybe less. By drench i mean administer a full dose in her beak in the morning, and let her eat and drink normally all day. Monitor her eating and how the medicine is working again at night.

Keep the electrolytes and maybe a 10% sugar solution in her beak, but the vitamins are antogonizing the corrid medicine, if she does have cocci.
Thank you! Her weight is very low as she wasn't eating. I will have to weigh her to see how muxh to drench I assume? That is just purr corid then? Someone suggested a nutridrrench to me along with corid. Is that not a good idea since the vitamins can make thr corid not work as effectively?

Thank you! Her weight is very low as she wasn't eating. I will have to weigh her to see how muxh to drench I assume? That is just purr corid then? Someone suggested a nutridrrench to me along with corid. Is that not a good idea since the vitamins can make thr corid not work as effectively?

If you are already on day 3 of corrid, maybe just continue the corid medicated water a bit longer per the directions of 5 days.

Sorry nutridrench contains thiamine, which is the analogue to corrid. You could give the other beneficial ingredients to nutridrench, but vitamin B1 is a major drug interaction conflict, in theory anyway. If someone else gives nutridrench at this stage of treatment and it has worked, then maybe need to know more details. How did they know they werent cocci free.

Once the five days is over, let her have diluted electrolyte and fresh water to replenish her liquids lost from diarreah Hopefully she starts to have a more solid crop at night and dont overtreat everyday, but a little treat of probiotic or some glucose. I dont have a specific suggestion, other than do not mix the vitamin B1 thiamine and corrid until she is off the corrid and she is showing no signs of cocci.

Cocci can be detected by a fecal float, not sure if thats a common procedure vets do in the usa or if people bother testing for it. I know they do fecal floats for worm tests.

Here are the good ingredients you could give from nutridrench such as vit E or vit D. Be careful with self dosing vitamin A, it can be overdosed with negative effects.
Screenshot_20211126-122100_Chrome.jpg

Good morning all.

Sick 3 yo hen with pale comb, lethargy, loss of appetite and water stool mainly white. Crop empty for the last week.

They are not on a regular worm schedule ( I am now implementing this) treated with poultry dewormer 5x (fenbendazole) 4 days ago. Also started corid treatment In water on day 2. She is isolated.

Question is, worms? Or coccidiosis? Can I do the dewormer again while on Corid? The bottle recommended 3 day dose for heavier loads.

I am just guessing at this point which it is, if it is even either.

Can I treat for both or will this overload her?
You can use Fenbendazole (Safeguard) with Corid (Aprolium).

Fenbendazole dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Corid dose is 2 tsp Liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the ONLY source of drinking water.

Deworming and treating for Coccidiosis isn't a bad idea. For a 3 year old hen is she laying eggs? Consider that a reproductive disorder may also be at play at that age. Feel her abdomen for swelling or bloat and check her well for lice/mites.

👇👇NO vitamins or probiotics in the water with the Corid. Corid should be the only thing in the water during the course of treatment.

but I am putting a vitamin and probiotoc in the water as well.

A drench is given for 3 days in addition To the bird drinking the mixed Corid solution for 5-7 days. Drenching does not shorten the dosing period of the medication.
👇👇
My anticocci medicine dose is 3-5 days, corrid says 5 days, but if you drench, it is maybe less. By drench i mean administer a full dose in her beak in the morning, and let her eat and drink normally all day.

@Peaches Lee Corid is mild and not harmful. It's not rough on the intestine. Coccidia overload (Coccidiosis) and infection are rough on the intestines.
There are 9 strains of Coccidia that affect poultry and only 2 of those present with blood in the stool.
Dewormers are anthelminitics. Corid is a coccidiostat. 👇👇
Did she show any blood in her stool? Usually, bright red blood in the stool is your leading indicator of coccidiosis.

Corid can be really tough on their intestinal systems, so be sure to supplement her with something like plain yogurt.

I would hold off on adding anymore dewormings until you are done with the Corid treatment.

Fenbendazole dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Corid dose is 2 tsp Liquid Corid or 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Corid per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the ONLY source of drinking water.

Deworming and treating for Coccidiosis isn't a bad idea. For a 3 year old hen is she laying eggs? Consider that a reproductive disorder may also be at play at that age. Feel her abdomen for swelling or bloat and check her well for lice/mites.

👇👇NO vitamins or probiotics in the water with the Corid. Corid should be the only thing in the water during the course of treatment.

A drench is given for 3 days in addition To the bird drinking the mixed Corid solution for 5-7 days. Drenching does not shorten the dosing period of the medication.
👇👇

@Peaches Lee Corid is mild and not harmful. It's not rough on the intestine. Coccidia overload (Coccidiosis) and infection are rough on the intestines.
There are 9 strains of Coccidia that affect poultry and only 2 of those present with blood in the stool.
Interesting, I've always heard (from this site at least) that Corid is not a gentle treatment.

If you are already on day 3 of corrid, maybe just continue the corid medicated water a bit longer per the directions of 5 days.

Sorry nutridrench contains thiamine, which is the analogue to corrid. You could give the other beneficial ingredients to nutridrench, but vitamin B1 is a major drug interaction conflict, in theory anyway. If someone else gives nutridrench at this stage of treatment and it has worked, then maybe need to know more details. How did they know they werent cocci free.

Once the five days is over, let her have diluted electrolyte and fresh water to replenish her liquids lost from diarreah Hopefully she starts to have a more solid crop at night and dont overtreat everyday, but a little treat of probiotic or some glucose. I dont have a specific suggestion, other than do not mix the vitamin B1 thiamine and corrid until she is off the corrid and she is showing no signs of cocci.

Cocci can be detected by a fecal float, not sure if thats a common procedure vets do in the usa or if people bother testing for it. I know they do fecal floats for worm tests.

Here are the good ingredients you could give from nutridrench such as vit E or vit D. Be careful with self dosing vitamin A, it can be overdosed with negative effects.
View attachment 2910092
Thank you!!!!!!

👇👇

Thank you so much for all the info. May I give nutridrech to the bird that isn't mixed in with it? Or is that a bad idea?

Back
Top Bottom