Fence ramming Pit Bull tried to get our babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
a poster mentioned that the fencing might not be strong enough. pit bulls are crazy strong, like two enraged pit bulls can take on a bear and win strong. so stronger fencing will most likely not do the trick. sharper.... as in zap sharp from an electric fence with strands run at ground and up every six inches till 3-4 feet will do wonders.

Quote:
I've known some very sweet, well trained pitbulls. Not all are snarling beasts...BUT...they, like all dogs, have the potential to be. As long as your neighbors train and take care of their dog, you will hopefully be OK, at least from their dog.

thumbsup.gif

Pits have gotten a bad rap because of “stupid” people. YES THEY ARE AN AGGRESSIVE BREED. Owners should know how to contain, train and control one if they choose to own one.

My wife rescued an 8-week-old female pit fifteen years ago. While we have owned several dogs over the years we had never considered one-way or the other owning a Pit . It happened out of necessity and she was the sweetest most gentile and loving pet. She died two years ago. She would protect our children and any animals she knew belonged in her home or yard. Yes, she would protect our other dogs, cats, chickens whatever.

Pits make great pets for people smart enough to educate themselves about the breed’s needs and that are willing to take the time to train them properly. A more loving and affectionate breed you will not find.

Quote:
And that’s the way it should be.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
i agree with grumy. i have a am staff 3 chickens 10 chicks and a rabbit. i lost 6 chicks to neighbors cat. should i have shot the cat? my dog dosnt like the chicks but he aint killing them, he still protects them and my familly. and its just not pitbulls any dog will attack chicken including that little tea cup yorkie. so before you start killing dogs please advice the owner about the incedent

You absolutely can not trust a pitbull, all the attacked owners say "They have always been so sweet and loving. I have never had a problem with them ever." That is what they all say right after they take half the scalp off a young child, or attack the owners themselves. Ramming into the fence did not phase that dog. You could have whacked him with a 2x4 and that would not hurt him. I go for one warning then bodybag.

Quote:
If you don't, he'll for sure be back for more! If you're willing to put up with those losses, good for you. I'm not. And i wouldn't expect anyone else to put up with those losses from my cat either.

I am an animal by animal kind of person. I'm not stereotyping any breed. I don't care what breed or species you are if you are killing my animals, i'm an equal opportunity protector.

I'm kind of tired of hearing bad bad dog and kill it. Lets give the owners, who love their dogs, a chance. This dog may not normally roam around and got loose by accident. I would go to the neighbor and tell them in a nice way that their dogs hunting instinct is to prominent. Tell then that the dog charged at the birds and rammed into the fence, leaving a dent, and scarring the heck out of you. The owner may not know about their dog's bad behavior. Ask him kindly to take care of this situation, since you would like to have a nice neighbor relationship. I'm saying this because we have a dog that is aggressive and we did not know about it for almost 1.5 years. She is the sweetest dog to her 3 dog mates, our cat, us, our ducks, and people visiting. We found out by accident when we put her in the kennel, which we do frequently when going on business trips. The clerk mentioned oh yeah she is the aggressive one. We said what? She is the sweetest dog, who even loves strange children. Turned out she is aggressive towards other dogs, not the handlers in the kennel. We had no clue since we live away from other dogs. Ironically she never shows that behavior when we go hiking and meet other dogs. It's only in the kennel when she is stressed out. So this owner may not know that his dog is doing it, and may be shocked to find out. I agree that something more needs to be done, if the dog has been doing it over and over. Especially when the owner does not take control over the situation. So talk to your neighbor nicely, do not threat him about what you can and will do. Get their sympathy and they may even work on it. I would even offer to help them with my labor if they want to build a kennel.
Katharina

Sounds to me like the dog was after the chickens and never saw the wire. I would talk with the owners and tell them that the dog needs to be kept under control and that the damage to the run needs to be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom