fence suggestions...

In my experience that depends on the string trimmer. I have an electric one and yep, the fence eats the string. It only runs about 20 minutes before a 40+ minute recharge. I'd never get the fence trimmed at that rate. My gas trimmer will rip the same welded wire fence like paper. TSC 2x4 welded wire fence. It is on the inside of the north fence line which is hotwire on the outside. I had the welded wire from some other project so I used it to keep the chickens on the inside.
Have had the issue with both my gas and my battery(I have a good one)trimmer......
...it's all about technique ;)

It's all about technique. I use a Stihl with "bike-handle" setup and it took a little while to get the right technique down when using near fencing and tposts, etc. Been thinking of putting down a pressure treated 2x6 along the bottom perimeter of these areas on my fencing because of the string trimming, lol.

I need some suggestions on how to keep my chickens contained. What has worked and not worked for you? I'm in North Central Ohio. Down to 4 chickens -started last March with six. My beloved Plymouth Rock rooster was hit on the road and killed in Dec. then 6 weeks later my favorite RIR hen; Freckles, met the same fate. I'm devastated and decided to fence them in. However, given that the ground is frozen, there will be a temporary smaller enclosure until I can permanently fence in almost the entire acre. My property is one acre, rectangular in shape. The house and garage are on the South end and the rest is a bit of yard and 2/3 of the entire acre is pasture for the horse and donkey. Temp. enclosure for chickens will be pretty much the yard then in summer I will fence in from the edge of house and all of the pasture. I know, that's a lot of fence! I feel strongly about letting the girls have access to all those juicy bugs that are attracted to the horse and donkey! Ok, here's where I need advice... what "kind" of fencing does everyone recommend and how do you secure it? Wire? what gauge, hole size, height...etc... T-posts or wooden stakes? how far apart? what to use to secure fence to post? I want to draw from your experience and advice to do safe and effective fencing once. Thanks, I appreciate your wisdom. Dawn
Deciding on a fence should be totally what you want. You could have a wire fence or posts with attached roll of nice looking wire fencing attached to the posts. My husband and I have had several homes, and a lot of animals including dogs, cats, chickens and now a pet turkey, and this old house we retired into about 6 years ago, had tall hedges all around but that certainly didn't keep in the pets. We are in a small town and have a double lot. We put up wire inside the hedge but have been removing a section of hedge every year as we can manage it, and replacing with a solid wooden fence. Please remember, predators can still get to your animals----flying hawks and eagles, etc, plus raccoons, bobcats, and even nasty feral cats. We live along the Washington coast and have seen all of those here. We let them free range during the day and lock them in at night or if we go to town or leave the house. Good luck. If they tend to fly over, might want to clip the feathers on one side only if you have an adventurist chicken. They are amazing and we love our babies, who get spoiled and held frequently----even the turkey who sits on my husbands lap with a an old towel under her, while we watch tv.

I put a chain link "dog run" around my girls shack to give them a safe yard. I put a cover (store bought, made for dog runs) over it along with a tarp. Keeps rain and snow out. Only had to replace the tarp once in 6 years. I put plastic fencing up between the top of the run and the frame for the cover. Zip ties work well. This keeps predators out.
There are a lot of different type predators around, owls, hawks, eagles, fox, racoons, as well as the occasional feral stray cats, so the girls don't go out of their yard. I made a portable coop 8' by 4' so we can take them out. Wife calls it their RV. They go "camping" often.

I use 10x10x6 chain link dog kennels. The kind with panels with chain link attached. Never the kind you have to attach the chain link yourself. This has been a very flexible option for me and I reconfigure mine all the time. Some of my enclosures are 20x40 and other 10x20. Just depends on the size of the flock.

Overhead can be secured with other kennel panels, bird netting, hog panels, or what I prefer is shade cloth. I buy them 12x20 or 12x30 and reusable zip ties to secure them from Amazon. They come in different colors and you can also attach them on some of the sides like I do during summer. Best to have them on a little loose so they hold up in windy weather.

You can also get a bar made to go with these kennels to make a pitch roof over the top and cover it with a solid material. Pinterest and YouTube have lot of other ideas for the overhead covering these

I put a large dog house in each enclosure for nesting and protection from weather. In the corners I put a bar for roosting through two panels.

My donkey has full access around all of my enclosures.

Highly recommend getting a deep well socket for ratchet or drill to use when assembling or disassembling the panels. Most of mine came with 1/2 inch nut for the clamps but there are different sizes.

My first 10x10 kennel was bought new at the feed store for $250. All others have been bought used on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. They are cost effective, easy to work with, and offer a lot of flexibility.

I need some suggestions on how to keep my chickens contained. What has worked and not worked for you? I'm in North Central Ohio. Down to 4 chickens -started last March with six. My beloved Plymouth Rock rooster was hit on the road and killed in Dec. then 6 weeks later my favorite RIR hen; Freckles, met the same fate. I'm devastated and decided to fence them in. However, given that the ground is frozen, there will be a temporary smaller enclosure until I can permanently fence in almost the entire acre. My property is one acre, rectangular in shape. The house and garage are on the South end and the rest is a bit of yard and 2/3 of the entire acre is pasture for the horse and donkey. Temp. enclosure for chickens will be pretty much the yard then in summer I will fence in from the edge of house and all of the pasture. I know, that's a lot of fence! I feel strongly about letting the girls have access to all those juicy bugs that are attracted to the horse and donkey! Ok, here's where I need advice... what "kind" of fencing does everyone recommend and how do you secure it? Wire? what gauge, hole size, height...etc... T-posts or wooden stakes? how far apart? what to use to secure fence to post? I want to draw from your experience and advice to do safe and effective fencing once. Thanks, I appreciate your wisdom. Dawn
I free range my girls when I’m out with them. Otherwise they are in a MOVABLE PVC and vinyl wrapped chicken wire with a tarp top on wheels. Lightweight, strong enough. Why? I will roll it where I want them, they are safe from predators and it works beautifully. Then I return them to the safety of their house at dusk.
What is the purpose of your fence? To keep things out, or keep your chickens in? I have had a beautiful cedar fence. It’s a lot of $$. And upkeep. I have deer fencing around my garden 7’ tall and strong. Comes in many heights. It keeps munchers out.

Back
Top Bottom