Fencing advice

Leader Bee

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
Looking to get some appropriate fencing for my Geese come summer an dI came across this which looks like exactly what I want:

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicke...MI9tDzgMOK5gIVAuDtCh2KMwErEAAYASAAEgKX3fD_BwE

It's for chickens though so I thought I'd ask and see what the suppliers thoughts were on it's suitability for bigger birds:

"Dear Sven,

Thank you for contacting Omlet and for your interest in our products.

Unfortunately we do not recommend the Chicken Fencing for geese. It will not be strong enough and as geese have smaller head they will get theirs stuck in the holes.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Jessica "

So apparently not appropriate.
Does anyone know where in the UK I could get something similar and that would work with Toulouse?

I'm not in the UK, but I use deer fencing in my yard - mainly to keep chickens and cats out of our planters. Mine is black, but it is similar and very strong. Mesh is 3/4 inch, which is about 2 cm, I think.

Plastic netting is going to get chewed to pieces by silly geese that have to beak everything to death. I would stick with a short welded wire. You can make it more attractive by using wood posts and railings if you are worried about aesthetics.

I'm not in the UK, but I use deer fencing in my yard - mainly to keep chickens and cats out of our planters. Mine is black, but it is similar and very strong. Mesh is 3/4 inch, which is about 2 cm, I think.
That's what I use as well. It has kept out a 150 lb mastiff who thought trying to jump on it would be a good idea. Mine is heavy duty from Lowe's.

I have ducks, chickens, and dogs that all use this fencing.

You can make it more attractive by using wood posts and railings if you are worried about aesthetics.
Nah, as long as it's convenient and does the job. I was originally going to get a proper fence around the area because I was worried about sturdiness while I'm not there (wind blowing it down and my geese escaping for example) but I'd quite like a cheaper alternative with some kind of gate, ideally.

Looking to get some appropriate fencing for my Geese come summer an dI came across this which looks like exactly what I want:

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicke...MI9tDzgMOK5gIVAuDtCh2KMwErEAAYASAAEgKX3fD_BwE

It's for chickens though so I thought I'd ask and see what the suppliers thoughts were on it's suitability for bigger birds:

"Dear Sven,

Thank you for contacting Omlet and for your interest in our products.

Unfortunately we do not recommend the Chicken Fencing for geese. It will not be strong enough and as geese have smaller head they will get theirs stuck in the holes.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Jessica "

So apparently not appropriate.
Does anyone know where in the UK I could get something similar and that would work with Toulouse?
This will do it. It's not pretty. It doesn't look that bad at a distance.
https://www.weld-mesh.com/welded-mesh/

Just so you can see an example of my fencing and how I added a door.

I had a spare dog kennel door that I used. The dog kennel that you see in the pictures is being used for our chicks. This was taken before we put them out there.

IMG_20191118_134834.jpg

IMG_20191118_134828.jpg

IMG_20191118_134824.jpg

We fenced in a couple acres and used 6' fence rolls, and 7.5' T-posts. Im now adding an electric fence to the bottom 6 inches of each t-post. Its about 1,500 feet. I'm having to add the electricity because of foxes who at some spots can scurry under the fence. Also adding a skirt that's flat and connects to bottom of fence.we really like them being able to free range, and i haven't convinced the wife yet to let us get some Great Pyrenees to guard the property.

I've only got a big backyard to fence, so I've got privacy panels on one side of the yard, a large barn building and deck on the other side, but along the back line of the yard I used sand fence. It's always been there so the geese have not challenged it. The problem comes when you try to put something new up. Any temporary fencing I try to use gets destroyed within a week :barnie

This is sand/snow fence
20191228_044029.jpg

Back
Top Bottom