Fencing Height for Turkeys

ChickenPalace

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Oakville, Washington State
I was wondering what members recommend for height of fencing. My turkeys, once they "hopefully" hatch, will be allowed to free range on 4 fenced in acres. The fence is 4 ft tall. My chickens which are heavy breeds never try to leave the yard. We also have three ducks that also never try to leave - although they are also a bit heavy (Pekins & Buff). However, I am concerned after reading posts that the turkeys just might try to escape.

Should I create a run for them so they are limited to where they can forage.

Thanks

Mine don't even know how to get over the 2-ft fence around my garden and they definitely don't go over the 4 ft property fence. The only time they end up on the wrong side is if they roost close to the fence and fly down on the other side on accident...then they pace frantically back and forth until I go get them b/c they can't figure out how to get back in the yard.
roll.png

I've read in several places that the recommended height for turkey fencing is 6' or 2m. Our birds never seem fly that high from the ground but they do occasionally cast a curious eye over the neighbouring green land. Nevertheless, we have followed advice and given them 2m obstacles around our boundary.

I have mine in 5 acre 6 ft chain link fenced yard. Mine have gone over my fence at times. Most of the time is when they have got on my roof and tried to fly down and just kept flying. Mostly windy days. But I have also had some think the other side of the fence looked good to lay a nest. It has not happened often but it has happened enough that I have been double fencing them in until breeding season is over.

Back
Top Bottom