Fencing Help

I do not put "used" or dirty wood chips for straw in the run. When it starts to get muddy I give the chickens a couple of pats of straw. I let them spread it for me! They get entertained and the mud it covered in straw.
Not sure why you quoted my post...not sure I mentioned using 'used' of 'dirty' wood chips?

I would just buy some metal stakes along with a couple rolls of welded wire fencing that is high enough and call it a day! And with the money you just saved, you can go feed a village and take lots of pics and post them on Facebook and Instagram to show off.

That was a good study. Thanks for linking that. Always curious to see the scientific method in action.
I also like the well done scientific testing. What was not tested (due to time available) was the branch versus the 2x4 on the flat.

That and the age of the birds. Started at 6 weeks so 13 weeks at the end. What may be true for young birds may not hold when they are full grown. I wouldn't think PVC would be preferable to wood even when roughed up. And the birds need to be able to walk on the perches, I think that would be harder for adult large fowl on the 1 3/4" edge of a 2x4. Somewhere I saw a study that showed chickens rest on their keel bones when roosting. Again, the 3 1/2" side of a 2x4 would make that easier for adult large fowl.

I do not put "used" or dirty wood chips for straw in the run. When it starts to get muddy I give the chickens a couple of pats of straw. I let them spread it for me! They get entertained and the mud it covered in straw.

Why not use "used" wood chips? The used chips from my coop are for the most part pretty clean, as I clean up poop daily. Once the used chips are raked into the run they're no different from the wood chips that were placed straight in the run. And thanks to the chips there's no longer any mud to deal with in the chicken area.

Why not use "used" wood chips? The used chips from my coop are for the most part pretty clean, as I clean up poop daily. Once the used chips are raked into the run they're no different from the wood chips that were placed straight in the run. And thanks to the chips there's no longer any mud to deal with in the chicken area.
If that is what works for you it's fine with me! I have 30 chickens in a coop that is 8x10'. It only takes about 4 days for the wood chips, and straw to be soiled beyond comprehension. I turn it over once and then the top is soiled I have to throw it out on the hill or around the garden boxes. You do what is best in your situation, no judgement here!

If that is what works for you it's fine with me! I have 30 chickens in a coop that is 8x10'. It only takes about 4 days for the wood chips, and straw to be soiled beyond comprehension. I turn it over once and then the top is soiled I have to throw it out on the hill or around the garden boxes. You do what is best in your situation, no judgement here!

Ooh yeah I can see how that would get soiled pretty quick. I only have 7 chickens right now so the poop load is pretty manageable if I stay on top of it. Made some nice compost with it last year.

If you weren't trying to be rude, why even bring it up?

Since we want you to stick around and have a good experience, here is some context that might help.

1. @aart copies and pastes that same "where are you" message and images about adding your location to your profile to pretty much anyone who asks a question who does not already have their location noted in their profile.

2. She does this because (we hope) you will be spending a lot of time on here talking to people, and location plays a big role in a lot of chicken related matters. Asking your own questions, and answering other people's questions. Do you plan to post your location in the body of every question you ask or when providing someone a piece of advice (where you location plays into the applicability of the advice)? Doubtful, since that would be annoying to have to remember to do. At least it would annoy me to try to remember to post my location each time.

So there is some context for you.

:welcome

Remember, someone brand new wouldn’t necessarily realize it’s a cut and paste... and might think that maybe the responder didn’t bother to read his/her post before responding (hurtful thought!). Just as they might not realize how to put it into their profile and how helpful it is to everyone!

Let’s all get started on good terms here! No offense is meant by any party I’m sure!

And :welcome !!! Happy to have you here with us!

And I feel like I've heard people saying that when dirty litter is removed from the coop it can just be thrown on the ground in the run. Is that correct?

Be warned... that can get nasty pretty quickly in my (very similar to yours!) climate... especially if you don’t have a covered run!

Back
Top Bottom