Fencing?

abigalerose

Songster
Feb 22, 2016
I'm currently buying 5 acres (with a house in the middle) and I'd like to fence it for a couple horses and a cow, I plan to do t-posts and 5 strands of barbless wire and 1 strand of hot wire at the top, that way there's no barbs, but the hot wire keeps them from leaning, and if the hot wire gets grounded or something and doesn't work for some reason, then they can't just walk through the fence. What I'm wondering, is ROUGHLY what it would cost for material to do this, becuase I have absolutely no idea. Does anyone have a ballpark guess on what it'd cost to do 5 acres like this?
I also plan on doing wood or barbless wire around the house, that way the horses can't come right up to my front porch lol. But I want to get the big part out of the way first.
There will be 3 gates total.

I'm currently buying 5 acres (with a house in the middle) and I'd like to fence it for a couple horses and a cow, I plan to do t-posts and 5 strands of barbless wire and 1 strand of hot wire at the top, that way there's no barbs, but the hot wire keeps them from leaning, and if the hot wire gets grounded or something and doesn't work for some reason, then they can't just walk through the fence. What I'm wondering, is ROUGHLY what it would cost for material to do this, becuase I have absolutely no idea. Does anyone have a ballpark guess on what it'd cost to do 5 acres like this?
I also plan on doing wood or barbless wire around the house, that way the horses can't come right up to my front porch lol. But I want to get the big part out of the way first.
There will be 3 gates total.
I just paid about 6k to have tensil wire with a round white hot wire around the top for about 6k with 2 karge gates one small gate

I just paid about 6k to have tensil wire with a round white hot wire around the top for about 6k with 2 karge gates one small gate
If you use the high strength tensil wire about 5 to 6 rows it very strong and tge hirses pretty much bounce off of it...one hot wire around the top will remind them not to lean on it. Put ur ground rod nice and deep..makes a difference. I have a 20mi sokar hit box. 1st mistake i made was my grounding rod was not deep enough and i got a weak charge.

If you use the high strength tensil wire about 5 to 6 rows it very strong and tge hirses pretty much bounce off of it...one hot wire around the top will remind them not to lean on it. Put ur ground rod nice and deep..makes a difference. I have a 20mi sokar hit box. 1st mistake i made was my grounding rod was not deep enough and i got a weak charge.
I'm sure you can do it cheaper if you do it urself. Sometimes u can find the wire much cheaper on line. Probly bout half the price. U can alwsy just run 3 lines w a hot wire at the top if u need it now and add more strands later

That's a Loaded question. You can spend $1000 and $1000 doing it some what Good or you can go cheap and just spend a $1000. Example My neighbor put up 5ft T post probably every 15 to 20ft apart with one strand of 14gauge fence wire around about 10+ acres and kept some times 20 to 30 horses in it and 20 to 30 cows. Worked Fine as long as the fence charger was on. He skimped on the fence but that Charger would kill a Human---almost---probably would. I think it was about 20 joules---packed a punch. I touched it one time ----just got to close----I never want to touch it again---it took me a while to get myself back together---seriously.

Like I said, 5 rows of wire, 1 row of hot wire. 5 acres. And I'm just trying to figure out material cost, just a ballpark range.
And I'm not going to pay someone to build it for me.
But I don't even know what I should be guessing right now, 2,000? 5,000? 10,000? I don't have a clue.

I fenced in 6ac. I put wood post and metal in between to save money. One wood post for every 4 metal and wood on the corners with extra support..looks nice. 6k

Attachments

• 14977124261502024388919.jpg
    14977124261502024388919.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 16
Like I said, 5 rows of wire, 1 row of hot wire. 5 acres. And I'm just trying to figure out material cost, just a ballpark range.
And I'm not going to pay someone to build it for me.
But I don't even know what I should be guessing right now, 2,000? 5,000? 10,000? I don't have a clue.
What wire are you planning to use? A lot of difference in High tensile and regular 14/17 gauge electric fence wire? One question for my own thoughts---why 5 strands of wire and 1 row of hot wire. The 5 strands will do no good as soon as they figure its not hot and no barbs to get their attention----is it just for looks?

What wire are you planning to use? A lot of difference in High tensile and regular 14/17 gauge electric fence wire? One question for my own thoughts---why 5 strands of wire and 1 row of hot wire. The 5 strands will do no good as soon as they figure its not hot and no barbs to get their attention----is it just for looks?
I said barbless wire in my original post. Idk if that's the same as tensile or not, but I call it barbless. Just like barbed wire, without the barbs. And again, I said in my original post I want 5 strands of that so if the strand of hot wire on top fails for some reason they can't bust through it as easily, and I want the one strand of hot wire on the top so they're not constantly leaning on it.

Back
Top Bottom