Fencing?

I said barbless wire in my original post. Idk if that's the same as tensile or not, but I call it barbless. Just like barbed wire, without the barbs. And again, I said in my original post I want 5 strands of that so if the strand of hot wire on top fails for some reason they can't bust through it as easily, and I want the one strand of hot wire on the top so they're not constantly leaning on it.
OK---do a little research on high tensile wire(no barbs) and 14 gauge electric fence wire. High tensile cost about 7 times as much(example $500 against, over $3000 for the same length of wire). You decide what you want to use. Just for info as I already stated(in case you do not know), livestock will push right through "wire" if nothing is cutting(barb) into them or knocking their butt down.

Last edited:
I'm currently buying 5 acres (with a house in the middle) and I'd like to fence it for a couple horses and a cow, I plan to do t-posts and 5 strands of barbless wire and 1 strand of hot wire at the top, that way there's no barbs, but the hot wire keeps them from leaning, and if the hot wire gets grounded or something and doesn't work for some reason, then they can't just walk through the fence. What I'm wondering, is ROUGHLY what it would cost for material to do this, becuase I have absolutely no idea. Does anyone have a ballpark guess on what it'd cost to do 5 acres like this?
I also plan on doing wood or barbless wire around the house, that way the horses can't come right up to my front porch lol. But I want to get the big part out of the way first.
There will be 3 gates total.
Bulk prices are far less than quotes on individual piece price. Power buying. T post for the barb wire is the most economic way to go except wood post will be needed at the run ends and corners for tension. REMEMBER THAT ONLY BARB WIRES LETS PREDATORS COME AND GO.
Horses is where the big bucks come in.

Call local installers for estimates. That will give you a good ball park est if they separate material and labor. Remember. They buy in bulk too but mark up the price of the materials a tad to profit across the board.
Tractor Supply has free pamphlets on estimating quantities and required types of material for your particular application.
Depending on practical or cosmetic appealing, that dictates the bottom line.
Good luck
FC

Back
Top Bottom